Subject: RE: [security-services] RE: AuthenticationMethod / NameIdentifier and Kerberos authentication

Correct. In our document we have to find a way to mention that each
pre-auth type is described in the appropriate draft/rfc. In future IANA
will be used, but I don't know what timeframe. There is also a list in
the clarifications document of pre-auth types that were current when
this document was last changed. I do have a few useful emails which are
from IETF discussions on this subject - see below :

-------------------

    Tim> Hi, Can somebody let me know whether there is a reliable and
    Tim> uptodate list of padata-type numbers, and if so where ? I see
    Tim> references to some in rfc1510 and some drafts contain
    Tim> references to padata-type numbers, so I wondered how somebody
    Tim> defining a new authentication method would determine if a
    Tim> number was not being used elsewhere ?

The list in clarifications should be accurate.  Along with extensions we
will be setting up an IANA registry.

If you wish to use a padata for local use or for any other unregistered
use, then use a negative type number.  Simply using some unused padata
type would not be reasonable.

If you do need to register a padata type, ask Cliff for now; again this
will eventually be handled by the IANA.

-------------------

> The reason for asking is that I am working with another standard (not
> IETF controlled) that will make reference to the Kerberos standard, so

> I want to make sure if we mention rfc1510 that this rfc number is
> going to be the correct rfc in the future. If I understand you
> correctly, a new number will be allocated when clarifications is
> approved by IESG so we should make this clear in our documentation.

That is correct.  RFC's are immutable; once published, an RFC never
changes (the rfc-editor does maintain a list of errata in published
RFC's at http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.html, but the originial
documents are never modified).

RFC1510 describes Kerberos V, Specification 1.

Once approved, kerberos-clarifications will be published as a new RFC;
this will obsolete RFC1510 and (in combination with the crypto and AES
documents) will describe Kerberos V, Specification 2.

In most cases it is desirable in a standards context for normative
references to be to a particular version of the specification.  For IETF
standards, you can do this by referring to a particular RFC.  In a few
cases, you actually want a reference to "the current version", whatever
that happens to be.  The IETF way to do this is to refer to an STD
number; however, these numbers are currently assigned only to full
Internet standards.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer

Thanks, Tim.