Subject: FW: (retitled) Status of ASN.1 bindings for SAML and XACML

-----Original Message-----
From: John Larmouth [mailto:j.larmouth@salford.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 12:43 PM
To: karl.best@oasis-open.org
Cc: Hal Lockhart; Bill Parducci; Prateek Mishra; Rob Philpott
Subject: Re: [members] open positions at OASIS

Karl,

This is just an informal e-mail to keep you in the picture on XACML and SAML
with regard to ASN.1, rather than a formal liaison statement.

The ASN.1 group is currently meeting in Manchester, and has discussed what we
might want to achieve with regard to XACML and SAML ads ITU-T Recommendations or
ISO Standards, and who could find the resources to get involved with your TCs.

Three of our participants are monitoring the associated mailing lists (without
currently taking part in the discussions), and have commented that the traffic
on these mailing lists is quite high, making serious participation a heavy
work-load.

We were unable to identify anybody with the time available at present, but had
some further discussion on what we might like to achieve.  The proposal in
Geneva was the addition of substantial text to include an ASN.1 module mapped
from the XSD text using X.694, and would undoubtedly have required direct
participation in the XACML and SAML work.  However, in discussions at the
Manchester meeting, it was felt that a better approach might be the use of the
non-schema-based Fast Infoset work (sometimes called "binary XML").  This
provides an efficient binary encoding of the XML Infoset, and allows lossless
conversion between an XML document and a binary representation without any
dependency on or need for an XML Schema.  Provision for such transfers for XACML
and SAML would require only the addition of a small amount of text referencing
the Fast Infoset Standard (ITU-T Rec. X.finf | ISO/IEC 24824-1), with no actual
ASN.1 module to be added.  We are hoping to have a draft of such text available
for discussion at our Nice meeting in September, and I will contact you again
after that.

On a slightly separate issue, we note that SAML and XACML require to be able to
reference a definition of UUIDs, and would like to draw your attention to ITU-T
Rec. X.667 | ISO/IEC 9834-8, currently under FCD ballot.  This is technically
aligned with the IETF draft RFC on UUIDs, and will in due course become
available free on the Web.  We would recommend that your work reference this
standard.

Finally, I have not forgotten your request for a paragraph or two on where XCBF
fits into the overall spectrum of security standards, but I have just been
totally overloaded recently with both ASN.1 and biometrics work.

John L

--
    Prof John Larmouth
    Larmouth T&PDS Ltd