Subject: RE: [security-services] EDITORIAL: Copyediting the specs

I suggested to Eve that, due to the major rewrite the specs have gone
through that I thought an additional editorial review might be useful
after she does her pass.  She likes this idea and I offered to try and
provide this additional review.  So once she completes a doc, she'll
pass it along to me and the document editor.  I'll then coordinate any
subsequent changes with those editors.

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115
Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eve L. Maler [mailto:Eve.Maler@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 10:11 AM
To: 'security-services@lists.oasis-open.org'

Today I'm going to start doing a (long-delayed) copyediting pass on all
the specs.  Just to let you all know how I'm going to proceed, I will
send a note to the editors indicating which spec I'm working on.  I will

remand the result back to the editors in each case, so that they can
decide whether the changes are substantial enough to warrant publication

by themselves (vs. continuing to make their own edits on top and then
publishing).  While it's possible to merge changes made by multiple
people, in my experience this can get messy when word-processing style
changes are involved, so I'd like to avoid this if I can.

(Scott: This morning I'm starting on core-15, dated 28 Jun 2004, and the

two corresponding schema modules.  I plan to finish these by tomorrow
noon ET.)

For the last-call working drafts, I won't be filling in the
Acknowledgments section in the back; I will do this for the Committee
Draft versions, however.  If anyone thinks they should be added to the
list of editors on a spec (the criterion we've been using is whether you

physically edited the file) or the list of contributors (the criterion
is that you contributed either some chunks of text or thorough
comments), please let me know and I'll make this part of my cleanup.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.  And again,
let me put in my plea for you to review the V2.0 document deliverables
diagram that I just uploaded, and weigh in with your comments:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/7601/docset-proposal-0
6.png

Thanks!

	Eve
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Products, Technologies, and Standards    eve.maler @ sun.com