Subject: RE: [security-services] ID Federation - Is there a notion/need of one-way vs. two-way direction for it

The way I have looked at this - NameID's are normally scoped by a
certain entity's issuing authority/authorities. If company X starts
issuing assertions to company Y which relate to a subject who really
works for company Z, klaxons should sound.

With the 'persistent' profile, NameID's are further scoped down to a
pair-wise relationship between two parties; the asserting policy which
creates the persistent identifier (IDP), and the relying party which
accepts and (possibly) correlates an existing account with that NameID
(SP). However, this process of acceptance makes the same NameID mutually
"owned" by both parties.

The interesting question is whether the relying party before (the SP)
can use a correlation to perform its own local authentication, and can
then turn around and use that NameID to assert authentication to the
IDP. To me, this seems like a valid deployment option. An example would
be an environment where SSO is used across services controlled by the
same business entity and deemed to have equally secure authentication
policies and mechanisms.

The SP/IDP roles used in the language and protocol ('SPProvidedID') seem
to indicate that these trust relationships must be unidirectional. My
interpretation based on the current language is that a second identifier
(or pair of identifiers) is needed to reverse the roles and create a
relationship in the alternate direction.

If the NameID 'SPProvidedID' child was change to something like
'PartnerProvidedID', and if the language for the Name Identifier
Management section struck the usage within SP/IDP roles, the option for
bidirectional usage of the 'persistent' NameID type would be clearer.

-David Waite