Subject: Name Identifier Management Protocol/Profile

Title: Name Identifier Management Protocol/Profile

Hi. I wanted to get a clarification on the purpose of this protocol/profile. I.e., it is to provide id federation features (where the respective providers do not need to know the true identity of the user).

In the core spec, line 2289, it says "After establishing a persistent name identfiier". Does the word persistent here apply to all types of identifiers that are like urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:nameid-format:persistent (which may be defined externally, or in future versions of SAML)? Or is it meant to be applied literally, so emailAddress, X509SubjectName, etc.... are meant to be used with this protocol/profile?

The profiles spec (paragraph around line 1280), also alludes to an "alias" that the SP can use, suggesting that it only applies to the former case I described above.

Thanks, Tom.