Subject: Errata item? Clarifying [Want]AuthnRequestsSigned metadata setting

During the SAML 2.0 dry run in Washington DC last week, I discovered an item that could use some clarification.

In Metadata, the IDPSSODescriptor has the setting called “WantAuthnRequestsSigned” and the SPSSODescriptor has the setting called “AuthnRequestsSigned”.  But it’s ambiguous about “how” this signing is to be done.

Note that the SP can also define “WantAssertionsSigned”, where it means that the SP wants the IDP to sign the Assertion XML element by including a <ds:Signature> element in the assertion.  That is, I do NOT believe it means that the assertion can also be “signed by inclusion” by putting it (unsigned) inside a <samlp:Response> element and signing that element. It is the Assertion XML element itself that is signed.  I don’t believe the same approach is what folks expect for the AuthnRequest settings however.  I think it is ambiguous and needs to be clarified.

At the interop, folks were using a true setting for [Want]AuthnRequestsSigned to mean that the AuthnRequest message is signed only in the context of the HTTP Redirect Binding where the total URL with parameters is signed using the mechanism specified in that binding. The AuthnRequest XML element is NOT expected to contain a <ds:Signature> element.   Now I don’t think this interpretation would necessarily be the same if the message was carried in the POST or Artifact bindings.  I assume that in those cases, the XML element itself would be signed and include the ds:Signature> element.

So the interpretation of the setting appears to be dependent on which binding is being used.  This is clearly not the case for the WantAssertionsSigned setting.  So we should at least clarify this for folks.  That is, unless folks have a different interpretation of what the settings mean…

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115