Subject: Links to new OASIS IPR policy and transistion info

Okay – I’ve had this AI outstanding quite awhile.  Folks could find the info from the OASIS IPR page, but here are the direct links:

The legacy OASIS IPR policy under which SSTC has been operating can be found at: OASIS Legacy IPR Policy.

The NEW OASIS IPR policy is located at: OASIS Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy.

An FAQ  re: the new policy is available at: IPR Policy FAQ.

A transition document was written that describes how the new IPR policy affects TC’s formed prior to when the latest IPR policy went into effect.  The transition doc is at: OASIS IPR Transition Policy.

Finally, there is a transition FAQ available at: IPR Transition Policy FAQ.

Basically, unless we obtain an exception from the OASIS BOD, SSTC has 2 years  from the date the new IPR policy took effect (that is, we have until 15-April-2007) to complete the transition process.  Otherwise, the TC must shut down.

Clearly, there is no rush to complete the transition, and we, of course could decide not to transition and cease operation.  Should we decide to do this at some point, we’ll need to actively discuss how the SAML specifications will be maintained.

Anyway, assuming we do choose to make the transition, the process is pretty clearly described in the FAQ and the policy.

You need to pay special attention to the definitions of the available IPR Modes under which a TC can operate.

I encourage everyone to review the material so that we can have a discussion during an upcoming meeting con-call on how we want to deal with this change.

Thanks,

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.