Subject: Another possible errata in metadata...

Metadata line 272 says “In any such sequence of like endpoints based on this type, the default…”.  It is a bit ambiguous what “of like endpoints” means.  Are two endpoints alike if they are of the same binding type (e.g. SOAP)?  Or are they alike because they are assigned to the same service endpoint.  This actually caused some confusion here (maybe it was just me J).

What’s the context of “like” in this case. Consider the case of an Assertion Consumer Service with 3 SOAP binding endpoints and 4 POST binding endpoints. Is there just a single endpoint of the seven that can be marked isDefault, or is there a default for SOAP and a default for POST?

I *think* it means the former, although we had discussions about what if an IDP doesn’t allow outgoing SOAP connections and the SP had chosen one of the SOAP endpoints as the default.  The default setting isn’t of any use and the first POST endpoint in the list would be forced to be the default. But having multiple defaults on a particular service could definitely be confusing as well.

I’d like to suggest changing the phrase as follows (dropping words like “such” and “like”):

“In any single metadata grouping of endpoints based on IndexedEndpointType, the default…”.  I think this makes it clearer that the grouping applies to all endpoints independent of the “binding type”.  Another way to do it would be to add a sentence to define what “like” specifically meant. But I haven’t been able to come up with disambiguous terminology to do that.

So have I actually assumed the right meaning here?

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115