Subject: Draft minutes for 17 January 2006 SSTC telecon, with attendance data

   Emily Xu Sun Microsystems

Attendance of Non-Voting Members

   Guy Denton IBM
   Dana Kaufman Forum Systems
   Jim Lien RSA Security
   Ron Monzillo Sun Microsystems
   Nick Ragouzis Enosis Group

Membership Status Changes

   Merritt Maxim CA - Removed from TC Membership 12/6/2006
   Wendy Gray JPMorganChase - Removed from TC Membership 12/13/2006
   Shaheen Abdul Jabbar JPMorganChase - Removed from TC Applicant
12/13/2006
   Raajmohan Natarajan EDS - Requested membership 1/4/2006
   Roger Reich Symantec - Requested membership 1/12/2006
   Conor P. Cahill Intel - Granted TC Membership 1/17/2006
   Jim Lien RSA Security - Granted Voting status after 1/17/2006 call
   Abbie Barbir Nortel - Lost Voting status after 1/17/2006 call

AI summary:

(#4a, 4b) Tom W. to send out a suggestion for shoring up the
conformance language to clear up the requester/responder mismatch.

(#4d) Greg W. to propose some clarifying text for the attribute
profile section.

(#5a) Jahan to revise the PE 10 wording proposal.

 > 1. Attendance

27(+?) of 32 voting members present.

 > 2. Approve minutes from December 6, SSTC Conference Call

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200512/msg00013.html

Approved by general consent.

 > 3.  Document Updates
 >
 > a. Website Updates

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00008.html

OASIS has dictated a new template to be used for public TC pages.
All the newest TC documents have been linked from the page.  The
Adoption SC should update its OASIS public page if it can.  However,
Merritt Maxim has had to step down from the Adoption SC.

 > b.  XPath Attribute Profile

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/16111/sstc-saml-xpath-attribute-profile-cd-01.sxw

The CD version had to be corrected to fix some of the examples.

 > c. SAML 2.0 Constrained Delegation Profile

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/16076/sstc-saml-constrained-delegation-profile-draft-00.pdf

A rev-00 draft has been produced.  Prateek has received some
feedback and will produce a revision next week.  Scott noted that
Conor thinks the document isn't necessary (through a note sent to
saml-dev), which Scott thinks would be nice but isn't sure it's
true.  The theory is that, having created a placeholder in the
syntax for this purpose, it's not clear it can be interpreted in any
other fashion.  Since you have to include a name ID (and it's
recommended that you include an audience), maybe we don't need extra
text.  How interoperable is the current situation with subject
confirmations -- are they sufficient?

Higher-level delegation semantics are not part of the current specs.
  Beyond the subject confirmation mechanism, documenting the
delegation parties and flow is left to the implementation.  Is the
presence of the subject confirmation inside the assertion enough to
convey the circumstances of assertion creation, or not?  If a given
entity uses a particular key, it's treated as the attesting entity
(metaphysical considerations aside).  If that's enough to
discriminate that entity from the subject, we don't need the extra
profile language.

What is the mandatory processing rule for the relying party on
encountering this?  It is just informational?  The profile attempts
to set up rules for verification.  It provides tighter
interpretations for existing constructs.  Is it a "meta-profile"? Or
would it be best as merely a clarification of the core spec?

 > 4. Active Threads
 >
 > a. *Authn Query and Authz Decision Query Requesters <msg00000.html>*

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00000.html

The clarification made informally was that you'd have a separate
notion of a requester for each authority, and Thomas indicates that
this seems sufficient.  In the conformance spec it talks only about
generic "requesters" across all sorts of authorities, which is
perhaps slightly unclear.  What does it mean for an attribute
authority to respond to an authorization decision requester?  You
can respond with any sort of statement in your responding assertion,
but from a WSDL standpoint, the intent is to only send the right
kind of query to the right kind of responder.

AI: Tom W. to send out a suggestion for shoring up the conformance
language to clear up the requester/responder mismatch.

 > b.  *SAML Authority and Requester Conformance question
<msg00003.html>*

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00003.html*

Same as above (#4a).

 > c. Extensions and Profiles <msg00009.html>*

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00009.html

The discussion is ongoing in email.

 > d. *LDAP Attribute Profile (saml-profiles-saml2.0)

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00013.html

This seems to have settled out.  We may need a couple of errata
items to ensure that the thread doesn't have to be re-enacted again
later!

One issue is just an error in the spec example.  Another issue is
whether the ASN.1 wrapper is intended to handle binary data.  The
tendency seems to be to avoid having the additional wrapper layer.
If you include the base64-encoded value directly, using the LDAP
profile for it doesn't have any particular implication for special
processing.  Finally, there's a philosophical issue about attribute
syntax assumptions.  You can't assume anything about the encoding of
values by looking at the name format; it would be a local deployment
issue.  Out-of-band agreement will be necessary at some level.

AI: Greg W. to propose some clarifying text for the attribute
profile section.

 > e. **Use of Audience as delegation flag <msg00022.html>*

*http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00022.html

This seems to be covered by our discussion above (#4a, 4b).

 > 5. Errata Review/Status

There's no new errata document this time.

 > a. *Proposed text for PE 10/Action item 0216 <msg00008.html>*

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200512/msg00008.html

There has been text proposed, at the link above.  Where spec text
deliberately constrains more than the schema, we've said that the
spec text takes precedence.  This was an oversight and not
deliberate, but in fact assuming deliberateness would "work", since
URIs are subsets of strings -- the schema isn't strictly "in error".
  It would be worth having an erratum just clarifying that anyURI is
indeed the right interpretation.

AI: Jahan to revise the PE 10 wording proposal.

 > b. *error in saml-profiles-saml2.0 example (section 8.5.6)
<msg00015.html>

http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00015.html

Noted.  Examples are non-normative, so this is low-criticality.

Prateek brings up a new PE regarding holder of key problems:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00027.html

Eric Tiffany brings up a new PE regarding metadata:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200601/msg00034.html

 > 5. Open AIs
 >
 > *#0243*: Clean up text in Section 3.3.2.2.1 (RequestedAuthNContext)
 > *Owner*: Scott Cantor
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2006-01-17
 > *Due*: ---

Scott needs to refresh his memory on the AI before tackling it.

 > *#0242*: Recommended text for SAML Attr Sharing Profile
 > *Owner*: Rob Philpott
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2006-01-17
 > *Due*: ---

Still open.

 > *#0240*: Status of SAML 2.0 submission to ITU T
 > *Owner*: Abbie Barbir
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-11-07
 > *Due*: ---

Abbie has asked Eve for help filling out a form having to do with
Liberty's PAOS spec, on which SAML depends.  She will probably
delegate this.

 > *#0238*: Plan for red-line versions of SAML 2.0
 > *Owner*: Eve Maler
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-11-07
 > *Due*: ---

Still open.

 > *#0237*: Interop Test question: Metadata 2.0 EndpointType question
 > *Owner*: Eric Tiffany
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-10-24
 > *Due*: ---

This has to do with #5 above; we can close it.

 > *#0235*: Various Editorial Changes
 > *Owner*: Eve Maler
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-10-10
 > *Due*: ---

This can be closed.

 > *#0234*: Nick to prepare some text for PE 23.
 > *Owner*: Nick Ragouzis*
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-10-10
 > *Due*: ---

Nick had thought we agreed to drop it for now.  Perhaps we can find
a new owner.

 > *#0230*: SAML Conformance SSL/TLS requirements
 > *Owner*: Eric Tiffany
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2005-09-12
 > *Due*: ---

Eric will try to tackle this soon.

 > *#0180*: Need to update SAML server trust document
 > *Owner*:
 > *Status*: Open
 > *Assigned*: 2004-07-12

Still open.

In addition: Scott would like to make progress on the extension
document.  In fact, there are several documents outstanding that we
were planning to send to public review in batch form.  Should we
queue up that vote for the next call?  Scott will consider that.

France Telecom is looking at the extension profile for use against
some of its current requirements.

--
Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Technology Director                           eve.maler @ sun.com