Subject: Comments on Attribute Sharing Profile for X.509 Authentication-Based Systems (draft 10)

Title: Message
Tom, here are some comments. In general, I like how you've reworked the sections.

1. line 183: s/value of/value is/

2. line 249: s/5.2.2/4.2.2/

3. lines 379-381 and 423-425 -- I suggest that you remove these lines. When using metadata, the use="encryption" attribute is typically used for including a public key or X509 certificate (for example) that is used by the metadata user to encrypt a symmetric key. The symmetric key is *not* a previously established key. Actually if you did have a previously established key, you would not need to encrypt it (as it would not be sent over the wire).

4. lines 392 and 439 (in relation to the above stmts) s/encrypt symmetric keys/encrypt previously established symmetric keys/

5. line 481-486  Add the following thought somehow. Basically, transport-level security alone will not provide SAML message authentication of the sending party. I.e., a receiver can authenticate any requesting party it trusts and that will provide confidentiality and message integrity. However, it does not satisfy the requirement that the message (SAML xml content) sent is in fact coming from the authenticated requester. For example if the receiver trusts requester A and requester B. What if requester A sends a SAML message stating that its IssuerName is that of requester B. Strictly tranport-level security would not suffice. So either XML signatures is required or SAML message authentication is required.
So for Enhanced Mode, transport level security would not suffice in single-hop scenarios (the current text implies it would be ok -- and the need for dig signatures is really because of the possibilitly of multi-hop scenarios).

Tom.

Thomas Wisniewski
Software Architect
Phone: (201) 891-0524