Subject: IdP Discovery

I keep forgetting to bring this up -- I was just reminded of it again so I'm
seizing the opportunity.

Currently, in the IdP Discovery section of saml-profiles-2.0, we don't
specify whether the cookie _saml_idp should be a session cookie or a
persistent cookie.

There are two use cases I have seen for using IdP Discovery, and they are
not compatible:

1) The presence of an IdP in the _saml_idp cookie indicates that the user
has a valid session with the IdP, implying that an SP might use that IdP for
seamless SSO. This use case requires that the _saml_idp cookie is a session
cookie.

2) The presence of an IdP in the _saml_idp cookie indicates that the user
has an account with the IdP, but not necessarily an active session. This use
cases requires that the _saml_idp cookie is a persistent cookie.

The current specs support both use cases, obviously, but it's a nightmare
for deployers to ensure that all participants are managing cookies according
to the same policy.

It would be good at a minimum to have some discussion of this somewhere, so
that implementers / deployers are at least aware that they need to
coordinate on this point.

Better, I think, would be if we had metadata to describe a "common domain"
or "circle of trust" that could communicate these options.

Even better, would be if we had separate cookies for the two use cases so
that they could co-exist.

-Greg