Subject: Subject-based Profiles for SAML V1.1 Assertions

Hi,

I just uploaded a set of documents entitled "Subject-based Profiles
for SAML V1.1 Assertions":

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/26571/sstc-saml1-profiles-assertion-subject-draft-01.odt
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/26572/sstc-saml1-profiles-assertion-subject-draft-01.pdf
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/download.php/26573/sstc-saml1-profiles-assertion-subject.xsd

There are two profiles:

SAML V1.1 Subject Profile
SAML V1.1 Subject-based Assertion Profile

The latter (which relies on the former) places constraints upon SAML
V1.1 subjects and assertions so that they have properties similar to
SAML V2.0 subjects and assertions.

Of course we want to encourage implementers and deployers to leverage
SAML V2.0, but in those situations where that is not possible (for one
reason or another), this profile provides an intermediate solution.
We've implemented it here, for instance, using OpenSAML 1.1 as a base.

Still to be addressed are the definition of strongly matches and the
mapping of SAML V1.1 SubjectConfirmation to SAML V2.0
SubjectConfirmation.  Input on these complex issues would be
appreciated.

Tom Scavo
NCSA