Subject: OpenID SimplePermissions and SAML constrained delegation

At the last IIW, I learned about an OpenID extension that the BYU
folks have created for what they call "SimplePermissions" -- a means
of doing constrained delegation by exploiting the fact that you pump
an identifier into the RP to get things rolling.  Here's more info:

http://wiki.eclab.byu.edu/index.cgi?SimplePermissions
http://www.eclab.byu.edu/simplepermissions_techreport.pdf

The basic idea is that the OP has a record of delegation policies for
its subjects (e.g., I set up a rule saying Brian can act as me), and
when Brian goes to an RP, he supplies *my* OpenID, then logs in as
*himself* when he gets redirected.  There are some limitations on how
far you can take this (how many "proxy" hops) and some variations on
how to accomplish it (e.g. using directed identity such that Brian has
to supply my ID in a special interface at the OP rather than at the
RP), but it pretty much layers thinly on top of the vanilla OpenID
Authentication protocol.

For full delegation, the RP doesn't have to do much that's special.
The OP hands it info about both identities in play (Brian's as an
ordinary name/value pair -- an "attribute" -- so the RP can properly
log the delegate's access, and mine as the main subject).  For any
kind of finer-grained access, e.g. read vs. write or read this
resource vs. that one, the RP can indicate its universe of access
options as simple keywords in some fashion (I'm relating all this from
memory -- will have to check with the docs linked above to see if I
got this right).

In previous discussions we never really saw a browser SSO delegation
profile all the way through.  Shib got as far as this:

http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/docs/draft-cantor-saml-sso-delegation-01.pdf

And the grid community does this with web services use cases (a
simpler form of what ID-WSF is doing with its WS-Sec profiles?):

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/papers/SAML_delegation.pdf

Is there any interest in tackling the user/browser side of all this
for SAML in an OpenID SimplePermissions-like fashion?  Is there value
in standardizing a modular "assertion profile" (for use with various
scenario-based profiles) for holding the delegation info?  My interest
is just academic, but at the risk of starting a perma-thread I thought
I'd ask all of you folks what you think.  If someone has a burning
need for something like this, and if none of the other existing
profiles suffice, I figured now is a good time to consider the
proposition and potential owners.

	Eve

Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Principal Engineer                            eve.maler @ sun.com
Business Alliances group                    Sun Microsystems, Inc.