Subject: Proposed errata for XML Signature references

I propose we reference XML Signature, Second Edition [1] in new
specifications produced by the SSTC, including those that have not
yet become OASIS Standard. I also propose  corresponding errata items
for SAML 2.0, below.

The Second Edition of XML Signature is not a new version of XML
Signature and does not change the namespace for XML Signature, nor
does it introduce breaking changes.  For this reason I believe we
should be able to update SAML references to refer to it.

This edition of XML Signature does incorporate errata, update RFC
references, clarify text and introduce the new Canonical XML Version
1.1  algorithm [2] as a required algorithm. Since uses of XML
Signature may specify the algorithms used, SAML instances may
continue to specify Canonical XML 1.0, though it would be preferable
if Canonical XML 1.1 support were introduced and used. I believe the
benefits of referencing the Second Edition warrant approving an
errata item.

Canonical XML 1.1 addresses issues related to inheritance of
attributes in the XML namespace when canonicalizing document subsets,
including the requirement not to inherit xml:id, and to treat
xml:base URI path processing properly.

A summary of changes in XML Signature Second Edition is available at
[3].

Note that changing the reference in the SAML Conformance document
does not change the algorithms explicitly called out in that
document, though we may wish to discuss requiring Canonical XML 1.1.
I have not included that in this proposal.

The Second Edition was not a joint IETF-W3C effort even though the
first edition was. There is work underway to produce a new RFC
corresponding to the Second Edition, but I propose SAML 2.0 only
reference the Second Edition Recommendation for the sake of clarify
of having a single reference.  In addition the Recommendation is
listed under normative references while the RFC is listed under
informative references. The RFC is also referenced only in SAML core
while the Rec is referenced throughout the SAML 2.0 specification set
(as noted in the proposed errata below).

Thus I specifically propose the following two errata to be added to
the errata document (once approved), as well as two new normative
references  [4]:

(1) Add additional normative references to Section 1.1 of the Errata
document:

[SAMLAuthnCxt] J. Kemp et al. Authentication Context for the OASIS
Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) V2.0. OASIS SSTC, March
2005. Document ID saml-authn-context-2.0-os. See http://www.oasis-
open.org/committees/security/.

[SAMLSecure] F. Hirsch et al. Security and Privacy Considerations for
the OASIS Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML) V2.0. OASIS SSTC,
March 2005. Document  ID saml-sec-consider-2.0-os. See http://
www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/.

----
E64: Update XML Signature references to XML Signature, Second Edition

Change [SAMLCore] Section 9.1 at lines 3415-3416 , [SAMLProf] Section
9 at lines 2205-2206, [SAMLAuthnCxt] Section 4 at lines 3926-3928,
[SAMLConf] Section 6 at lines 410-412, [SAMLSecure] at lines
1078-1079   to replace a reference to XML Signature with the updated
XML Signature, Second Edition reference, as follows:

Original text:
D. Eastlake et al. XML-Signature Syntax and Processing. World Wide Web
Consortium, February 2002.

New text:
D. Eastlake et al. XML Signature Syntax and Processing, Second
Edition. World Wide Web
Consortium,  June 2008.

----
E65: Remove XML Signature RFC reference:

Change [SAMLCore] Section 9.2 at lines 3439-3440 to remove the
following reference:

[RFC 3075]  D. Eastlake, J. Reagle, D. Solo. XML-Signature Syntax and
Processing. IETF
RFC 3075, March 2001. See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3075.txt.

---

regards, Frederick