Subject: Re: [security-services] Re: Proposed Agenda for SSTC Call (May 18,2010)

>> Another way to approach this would be to embed an Assertion inside an
>> AuthnRequest via an Extension as the provisioning flow, and perhaps
>> duplicate the assertion subject into the AuthnRequest to "connect" them.
>> That's just the inverse of my suggestion. That might be more consistent with
>> existing flows but without fundamentally reinventing anything.
>
>Forgot to mention, obviously this is superficially more like the original AddSubject proposal that I was objecting to, but the difference is:
>
>- it's not a new protocol, rather it's carried along with a standard SSO request
>- it's front-channel, with security properties that are already understood
>- the assertion acts as a security token and has subject confirmaation, an audience, etc., rather than just acting as data

Ah, now I see what you and Ari were getting at.  Sorry to have been dense on the call.

If we're committed to the idea of using a <Response> as confirmation of success/conveyance of information about the new principle to the initiating provider, I think doing it this way actually makes a lot of sense.  No new endpoints in the metadata would be needed, either.

I'll think a little more about it, but on first blush, I prefer this approach.