Subject: RE: [security-services] XSPA Profile of SAML for Healthcare

Yea, XACML policy was actually shown as part of several presentations, it seemed that quite a few members of the Tiger team were very familiar with SAML and XACML in detail, and some were lost in any technical detail and just wanted to discuss public policy

From: Staggs, David (SAIC) [mailto:David.Staggs@va.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 7:36 AM
To: Anthony Nadalin; Anil Saldhana; OASIS SSTC
Cc: Dee Schur

Hi Tony

That was a remarkable hearing, although I only listened to the afternoon session, which included the XSPA demonstration.  The XSPA Profiles of SAML and XACML were presented to the HIT Policy Committee “tiger team” who are responsible for setting US policy with regards to electronic healthcare.  I had heard rumors that the tiger team convened thinking REST was the way forward and that the HITSP recommendations were overly complex.  This was an opportunity to show web services and SOA in real time using severs across the globe – and we succeeded.

I’m surprise we mentioned the word “XACML” at all in our quarter; we were aiming for a less technical crowd. But notice the focus was on the exchange between healthcare organizations (which in our model requires SAML).  I think “OASIS,”  “XSPA,” and apparently “XACML” will now work there way into the solutions considered for the EHR problem set.  I also heard others giving testimony during the Q&A stating they are adopting OASIS XSPA.  So, implicitly, SAML and WS-Trust will be included in the solution set.

I think both the SAML and XACML TCs should be pleased that they have made such an impact on the electronic delivery of healthcare.  Apparently, from my interpretation of the discussion, the next hot topic will be “ontologies” which might be a good discussion topic.

David Staggs, JD, CISSP (SAIC)
Veterans Health Administration
Chief Health Informatics Office
Standards and Interoperability