Subject: Standards Track -- FW: [members] Notice regarding IPR Policy change

Folks,

Just in case you missed this notice, as from October 15 Oasis will require TCs to clearly indicated whether documents are ‘Standards Track” or “Non-Standards Track”.

I believe the majority (all) of our SSTC documents today are “Standards Track” (correct me).

NB. For those who also attend the IETF, my understanding is that the Oasis “Non-Standards Track” is *not* the same as the IETF Informational RFC (which in many cases is a technical spec).

Here are some relevant points from the FAQ:

> OASIS TCs will designate each TC deliverable as being

> in one track or the other, under the TC

> Process. The main effect of that designation is that

> non-standards-track documents will not have the

> patent-rights protections of the OASIS IPR Policy;

> however, OASIS copyright and trademark

> requirements still will apply to them.

> What kind of documents can a TC put in the

> non-standards track?

> The TC Process will define this track as deliverables

> that are intended to be explanatory and

> informative in nature. Non-standards-track documents

> will not be allowed to contain any

> normative statements that define mandatory

> conformance requirements. (See the definition of

> "Normative Portion" in amended Section 2(16).)

> That means most of our traditional

> specifications will not be eligible for this track.

> Standards that create normative compliance

> requirements should and will remain within the

> usual protections of the OASIS IPR Policy

> patent provisions. Non-normative white papers

> or slide-decks, on the other hand, generally are

> intended to be read and considered, not directly

> implemented. In such cases, there may be no

> need for patent licensing of an implementation,

> as there's nothing to implement. So the TC may

> elect to place them in the non-standards track,

> which will exclude them from those patent related

> rights and duties.

/thomas/