Subject: RE: [security-services] Question regarding SAML usage

And in government alone, it's pretty large..

Even in our small country of 4M, we have our centralised pseudonymous IdP www.i.govt.nz which has around 300,00 citizen accounts and each time they logon, SAML 2.0 is used..so there are millions of transactions here alone...

So if you add in everyone in this list (which I would suggest is only a fraction of the actual deployment) you get a sense of the scale...

http://saml.xml.org/wiki/list-of-organizations-using-saml

Cheers
Colin

-----Original Message-----
From: security-services@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:security-services@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Nate Klingenstein
Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2012 11:37 a.m.
To: OASIS SSTC
Cc: Leif Johansson

John,

To expand a bit on this answer, we don't keep authoritative statistics
or track SAML usage beyond what deployers happen to volunteer to us.

There is indeed widespread deployment of SAML within the education and
research spaces.  This includes some major players in the health
sciences, e.g. university hospitals and the National Institutes of
Health, for starters.

There has also been a healthcare standard developed by David Staggs of
the VA within the SSTC, the technical committee responsible for SAML.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/xspa/v1.0/saml-xspa-1.0-os.html

Other industries (e.g. the MLS) have made SAML 2.0 an outright,
explicit standard.  In others, it is an implicit standard, and it is
often used for pairwise corporate relationships.

Many major SaaS and PaaS vendors feature SAML 2.0 support.

Hopefully this is enough general background to help you make an
informed decision.  If you have a more focused question, we might be
able to refer you to a more focused answer.

Thanks for your interest in SAML,
Nate.