Subject: Re: [security-services] FW: boolean attributes in SAML 2.0

On 2/28/14, 10:06 AM, "Andy Sanford" <asanford@EBSCO.COM> wrote:

>1) does your "yes" below indicate:
>
>a) "yes, Is it valid for a xsd:Boolean attribute in SAML 2.0
>(specifically, the AllowCreate attribute as defined in
>http://docs.oasis-open.org/security/saml/v2.0/saml-core-2.0-os.pdf ) to
>be encoded as any of the literals {³0², ³1², ³true²,³false²}"

Yes, that's valid.

>2) WRT: "The schema grammar defines the lexical syntax unless overridden
>by a specific statement, such as those in section 1 of core, or in a
>specific item definition."
>-okay; I looked thru those sections and don't see anything that would
>override - do you?

I was explaining why the fact that nothing else is said about it implies
that the schema is normative. There is nothing overriding anything to do
with Booleans anywhere that I'm aware of.

> - except perhaps the specific statements that describe the "AllowCreate"
>attribute when "true" and "false", but don't mention "1" or "0".  My
>opinion on this matter is that the SAML spec, when discussing bools of
>values, are discussing just that: VALUES, and not LITERALS.  Is this your
>opinion as well.

It's more than opinion, I wrote it. It's not practical to spell out
something like that every time you reference a value to define behavior,
but in retrospect, eliding the quotes would probably have been clearer
when referring to the logical value rather than the lexical one.