Subject: RE: ISSUE:[UC-12-03:EncryptionMethod]

I agree that we could make much finer distinctions about how and when we
require encryption. I was hoping we wouldn't need to, because I thought we
had some clear guidance from the conference call and also from Strawman 3.

In Strawman 3, Requirements, Non-Goals, the first non-goal is that SAML will
not propose any new cryptographic technologies. It's not clear whether that
means cryptographic authentication technologies, or ways of encrypting SAML
messages.

That said, I firmly believe that we should _not_ define our own format for
encrypting SAML messages, and I admit that the choices in my ballot were
biased toward that alternative.

If people prefer the level of detail David proposed in his message, I don't
have a problem with changing the issue text and ballot.

 - irving -