Subject: RE: ISSUE:[UC-7-0{1|2}:Enveloping]

I'm going to try to respond to Dave since he mentions some of our shared
experience in standards work.  (I'm not sure if you folks are completely
past this topic by now; apologies if you are.)

Dave's observations about XLink and XInclude are interesting.  And I agree
that ideally "there can be only one" design choice here.  (I'm a Highlander
fan!)  However, I think it's possible to draw too strong an analogy between
these other applications and SAML.

It's correct that XLink (http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink) is "enveloped."  The
details of whether it uses attribute or element syntax don't matter as much
as the fact that you embed XLink links into documents, where they are left
to be discovered among the other various semantics.  At least when it comes
to simple hyperlinks, it could be no other way because simple linking is
point-to-point, and the starting point is *inside* a resource
somewhere.  (BTW, we've labored mightily to avoid specifying a processing
model for XLink, but this worked against us, IMHO.)

XInclude (http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude) is also enveloped, again because
it is embedded in a document.  It has a very precise processing model,
although it doesn't so much require a "choreography" as a static
description of transformation start and end states.

The way that the applications are supposed to communicate when faced with
mixed-semantics messages/documents is by means of namespaces.  This is how
XLink and XInclude are presumed to work: Processing gets spun out to
whatever application understands namespace X, whenever a markup construct
of namespace X is discovered.  Schemas govern how namespaces are allowed to
be mixed, so that you're constraining the input to your processor
appropriately.

But mixed semantics are the general case, and envelopment seems to be the
special case:

   wrapper B (in namespace B)
     wrapper A (in namespace A)
       payload (in namespace P)
     /wrapper A
   /wrapper B

With envelopment (no matter whether SAML is B, A, or P), I think we're
assuming that each layer of wrapper is a "protocol layer" that has to be
stripped by a special processor before being passed down the line.  To
processor B, everything from wrapper A inwards is considered the payload
(and so on for every additional wrapper).

At the actual SAML level (apart from the bindings), my intuition says to
avoid the wrapping/stripping scenario if we can.  It complicates things
because processing now depends on what processors have been "visited" along
the way.  I'd rather specify changes "statically" a la XInclude, by
describing the transformations a SAML message is allowed to undergo and by
what "agent."  (Maybe this is saying the same thing as Dave is advocating;
I'm not sure.)

I would call this third choice, between enveloped and enveloping,
"standalone."  I'm not sure what a SAML message would actually envelop
anyway: the resource to which access is requested??  Is any particular use
case, e.g. B2B, truly helped if you allow envelopment of something not
directly related to security communications?

So my intuition is to make SAML messages standalone.  They should have one
purpose (security communication) only, and not try to wrap or be wrapped by
"real" resources that they're related to.  "Mixed semantics" should only
enter the picture when an embedded bit of security-related information
(e.g., XACML or something) is not native to SAML but rather is farmed out
to other vocabularies in service of extensibility and modularity.

Now I've exposed another layer of my ignorance...

         Eve

--
Eve Maler                                             +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Development  eve.maler @ east.sun.com