Subject: RE: Draft Ballot for Issue Group 4

Darren,

>Just one comment.  In the issue 4-02 Attribute Authority, one of the
>proposed resolutions says that the Attribute authority returns "an
>AuthZ assertion containing authorization attributes".  Based on our
>developing domain model, I think it may be accurate to say that it
>returns "attribute assertions".  I'm not sure we have a new working
>definition of "authZ assertions", and shouldn't include it in the
>ballot.

I agree that "authZ assertion" is a new and as-yet-unneeded term.

However, I don't agree that the Attribute Authority returns
a set of "attribute assertions" (which seems to be what you are
implying).  My take has been that in response to a query, the Attribute
Authority would return a single assertion that
contains a set of attributes about a principal. (I think this is what
Prateek is suggesting. Prateek?)

I think this disagreement(or is it just a misunderstanding?) points
out  the  need for more clarification on what constitutes an assertion
in  SAML. (But perhaps this clarification takes place in
the core subcommittee (?).)

Regards,
Marlena