Subject: RE: Issue 2-02

> ISSUE:[UC-2-02:OutsourcedManagement] A use case scenario provided by
> Hewlett Packard illustrates using SAML enveloped in a CIM/XML
> request. Should this scenario be included in the use case document?

Hi Folks,
The purpose of this scenario was to illustrate an information flow
involving multiple (more than two) entities in which intermediaries
had to enforce authorization decisions and in which multiple SAML
assertions were used to determine the decision. It has two places where
PEPs enforce authorization decisions: the firewall and end entity.

It also illustrates the use of SAML in crossing domain boundaries
(firewalls). I believe this may turn out to be an important use.

I think it also managed to start the enveloped versus enveloping
debate, although I don't believe it makes it explicit which of these
possibilities I had intended. (In fact I was thinking enveloping.)

At the time I wrote this scenario (mid January) we did not have a
scenario in which multiple assertions are used. However, since then
ISSUE:[UC-8-02:IntermediaryAdd] was written and we voted on that
before we got to the scenario which I submitted. The two differences
between ISSUE:[UC-8-02:IntermediaryAdd] and this scenario are firewall
traversal is called out explicitly, and an intermediate PEP is called out
explicitly.

As Darren implied in the mail below, I will no longer be participating
actively in this group (or the core-assertion group). So I am
excluding myself from this ballot.

I really regret that I have to reduce my level of participation in
Oasis SSTC. As some of you may know, I changed jobs in February. The
old job had SAML as an explicit objective, the new one does not. The
new job has grown more and more demanding, and unfortunately there are
only so many hours you can work and maintain reasonable quality. I hit
the limit and indeed went over it. I will still be on the mailing
lists, and will be reading your documents with interest. I have really
enjoyed working as part of this team.

All the best,
Nigel.