Subject: Voting Results - Groups 2, 3, 4, 10, 12, and 13

The ballot comments and voting results are attached.  Please review the
voting results doc to make sure I captured your votes appropriately.  Here's
what passed:

ISSUE:[UC-2-01:AddPolicyAssertions]
   2. Maintain the non-goal, leave out the requirement.

ISSUE:[UC-3-03:Logout]
   1. Add this requirement to SAML.

ISSUE:[UC-3-05:SessionTermination]
   1. Add this requirement to SAML.

ISSUE:[UC-4-02:AttributeAuthority]
2. This issue is adequately addressed by existing use cases and doesnot
require further elaboration within SAML.

ISSUE:[UC-4-03:PrivateKeyHost]
3. This issue has been adequately addressed elsewhere; there is noneed for
any additions to the use-case document.

ISSUE:[UC-4-04:SecurityDiscover]
  2.No, this extends the scope of [OSSML] too far. AuthZ in [OSSML]should be
concerned with AuthZ attributes of a principal, not of resources.

ISSUE:[UC-10-01:Framework]
2. Leave the extensibility requirement.

ISSUE:[UC-10-06:BackwardCompatibleExtensions]
1. Add requirement [CR-10-06-BackwardCompatibleExtensions].

ISSUE:[UC-12-01:Confidentiality]
1) Add [R-Confidentiality]

ISSUE: [UC-12-03:BindingConfidentiality]
1) [R-BindingConfidentiality] Bindings SHOULD (in the RFC sense) provide a
means to protect SAML data from observation by third parties. Each protocol
binding must include a description of how applications can make use of this
protection. Examples: S/MIME for MIME, HTTP/S for HTTP.

ISSUE:[UC-12-03:EncryptionMethod]
3) Add no requirement now, but include a note that this issue must be
revisited in a future version of the SAML spec after XML Encryption is
published.

ISSUE:[UC-13-05:SecurityPolicy]
2. Leave this requirement out of use case and requirements document.

Darren Platt
Principal Technical Evangelist
Securant Technologies
345 California St., 23rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
tel - (415) 263-4976
fax - (415) 764-4949
http://www.securant.com/
-----------------------------

Voting_Results_Groups_2_3_4_10_12_13.doc

Title: Company

2-01

2-02

2-03

2-05

2-06

2-07

2-08

3-03

3-05

3-06

3-08

3-09

4-01

4-02

4-03

4-04

Hal Lockhart

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

3

2

Evan Prodromou

2

1

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

2

3

2

Gil Pilz

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

2

2

Kelly Emo

1

1

1

1

1

Marlena Erdos

2

2

1

1

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

3

2

Ahmed Zahid

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

2

1

2

3

2

Prateek Mishra

2

1

1

1

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

2

2

Irving Reid

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

2

2

1

2

3

2

Bob Morgan

2

2

2

1

2

2

2

1

2

3

2

Jeff Hodges

2

2

2

1

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

3

2

David Orchard

2

2

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

2

2

2

Darren Platt

2

1

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

3

2

Totals

2:11

1:5

2:6

1:5

2:6

1:7

2:4

1:3

2:8

1:3

2:8

1:4

2:8

1:9

2:2

A:1

1:9

2:2

a:1

1:8

2:3

a:1

1:7

2:4

a:1

1:7

2:4

a:1

1:8

2:3

1:2

2:7

2:3

3:9

2:11

10-1

10-2

10-3

10-4

10-5

10-6

10-7

12-01

12-02

UC-2-03:BC

UC-12-03:EM

13-01

13-02

13-03

13-04

13-05

13-06

Hal Lockhart

2

1

1

2

2

1

3

1

4

1

3

1

1

1

1

2

3

Evan Prodromou

2

1

1

2

2

1

2

1

3

1

3

2

2

2

2

2

1

Gil Pilz

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

4

1

3

1

2

1

1

2

1

Marlena Erdos

2

2

2

2

2

1

3

2

1

1

3

2

1

1

2

1

Ahmed Zahid

2

1

1

2

2

1

3

1

4

1

3

Prateek Mishra

2

1

1

1

1

1

3

2

3

1

3

2

2

1

1

2

1

Irving Reid

2

2

2

1

1

1

3

1

1

1

3

1

2

1

1

2

3

Bob Morgan

1

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

1

4

2

1

2

2

1

3

Jeff Hodges

2

2

2

2

2

1

1

1

4

1

4

2

1

2

2

1

3

David Orchard

2

1

1

1

1

1

1

1

3

1

3

1

2

1

1

2

1

Darren Platt

2

1

1

2

2

1

2

1

3

1

3

2

2

2

2

2

1

Totals

1:1

2:10

1:8

2:4

1:7

2:4

1:4

2:7

1:4

2:7

1:11

1:4

2:2

3:5

1:8

2:2

1:3

3:4

4:4

1:11

3:9

4:2

1:4

2:5

a:1

1:3

2:7

1:6

2:4

1:6

2:4

1:2

2:8

1:6

3:5

***************
*  Group 2
****************
Prateek: I am proposing we keep 2-02, 2-03, 2-05 and 2-08 mostly in the
spirit of keeping some example service-to-service interactions within
the document.

ISSUE:[UC-2-01:AddPolicyAssertions]
Marlena: (2) I think we should leave policy expressions to XACML.

ISSUE:[UC-2-02:OutsourcedManagement]
ESP: (1) I think this is a reasonable use case scenario, it gives a good
illustration of a great application of SAML, and it especially calls
out the firewall/proxy issue.

Marlena: (2) This use-case's salient points are already
covered in other accepted use-cases.

Ahmed: (2) Note: This use case goals aee covered previous use cases already approved.

ISSUE:[UC-2-03:ASP]
Marlena: (1)  This one seems different enough that it seems
worth adding.  Maybe later we'll decide it is redundant (assuming
it gets voted in).

ISSUE:[UC-2-05:EMarketplace]
Marlena: (1)  I wonder if this is really different than
other use case, but I'm not sure, so I'm saying 'yes'
to putting it in.

RLBMorgan: (1) Alone among the Group 2 scenarios this one is specific.  I
think it should be included so that we can discuss how it fits into
the abstract model(s) and how it can be supported; but I hope that
designing SAML support for this scenario is made a lower priority than
the web-browser sign-on scenario(s).

JHodges: (1) it's describing things at a fairly high level of abstraction and
isn't already covered in the present doc (draft-sstc-use-strawman-03.html).
However, I (also) feel that addressing this sort of scenario is a lower
priority than the "web-browser sign-on scenario(s)".

ISSUE:[UC-2-06:EMarketplaceDifferentProtocol]
Marlena: (2)  Redundant (wrt use-cases) with EMarketplace.

Irving: (1) Since use cases aren't normative, we can throw them all in for now
and decide later if some of them are too hard to support.

RLBMorgan: (2) Given that transports aren't specified in UC-2-05, this case
is already covered there.

ISSUE:[UC-2-07:MultipleEMarketplace]
Marlena: (2) Redundant (wrt use-cases) with EMarketplace.

RLBMorgan: (2) Cascading two instances of UC-2-05 doesn't appear to add any
new requirements.

ISSUE:[UC-2-08:ebXML]
Marlena: (2) I'd like to see the implied requirement of
retrieving attribute assertions by DN put up for a vote.
(I'd vote 'yes.')   I don't think we need the scenario
just to get at the requirement (and I think we should
keep down the size of our document to the extent possible).

Irving: (1) We really must support ebXML.

RLBMorgan: (2) Not well enough defined to vote for.

JHodges: (2) needs work. specific mention of "DN" way too deep a level for this
doc (draft-sstc-use-strawman-0x).

************
* Group 3
************
Hal: I am voting for these reluctantly because I feel that this will add
complexity throughout  SAML. For example, in a session environment it will
NEVER be possible to use an assertion  without checking with the session
authority to see if the session has been killed. SAML will  have to provide
the means to determine if some online service must be consulted or if the
assertion can be used as is. I am concerned that the greater complexity will
delay both  agreement on SAML and deployment. I suggest we keep an open mind
on dropping this once we  see how complex the design is.

Ahmed: Generally, I believe that session management would pose a difficult
scenario to comply. However, I do see a need for application level session
management. The concern I have is can we come out with a simple use case
required in SAML 1.0 and deal with complex use cases in SAML v. 2.0. E.g.,
a simple logout could be useful in current timeframe.

Prateek: There is no question that adding session semantics complicates
the design of SAML. At the same time, there is a lot of interest in
supporting some form of inter-site session model. From an end-user
viewpoint, single-sign on does not provide quite enough functionality;
support for inter-operable single sessions is also needed.

RLBMorgan: I abstain on this group.  I understand that this
functionality is in some systems and work on standardizing it is
important to some parties.  It isn't functionality I'm interested in,
but if work can be done on it in such a way that Session functionality
is an optional add-on to base SAML functionality, I am not opposed to
it being done.  I will suggest a requirement that Session
functionality *not* be required to support the simple sign-on case.

JHodges: overall rationale: for the level of abstraction appropriate in
draft-sstc-use-strawman-0x, I think we need to only expand the existing
requirement..

  [R-UserSession] SAML shall support web user sessions.

..as-needed. Also, many of the below detailed features ought to be expressed as
"SHOULD" or "MAY" clauses in the so-edited [R-UserSession], not as "MUST"s.

ISSUE:[UC-3-03:Logout]
Marlena: (2) I am sympathetic to the notion
of application session management, but after a fair bit
of thought, I feel that it does not belongs in SAML.
It complicates matters a great deal.  I'm very concerned
about what this will mean to "SAML compliance".  I'd
much rather see application session management handled
separately (as in the case of XACML).
   (If I'm being ignorant about the compliance
implications I would welcome enlightenment.)

Irving: (1) I'm not happy with the explicit "message format" in the requirement;
I think whether a message is needed or not is a protocol design decision.

ISSUE:[UC-3-05:SessionTermination]
Irving: (1) As with the previous issue, I think that if we support sessions we must
support timeout, but we shouldn't specifically require a message format.

ISSUE:[UC-3-9:Destination-Time-In]
Irving: (2) I'd be happy if we come up with a design that supports this, but I
don't want to require it for SAML 1.0

***************
*  Group 4
***************
ISSUE:[UC-4-01:SecurityService]
JHodges: (2) the term "security service" is used throughout
draft-sstc-use-strawman-03 without being clearly defined. We should do so.

ISSUE: [UC-4-02:AttributeAuthority]
Marlena: (1) In the core group there was a some confusion about
the role of the PDP.  Some folks thought that the PDP validates
attribute assertions in addition to coming up with authorization decisions.
I argued that this wasn't a generally good idea as attribute validation and
an authZ decision are very different beasts. I proposed that an "attribute
validation PDP" be called out explicitly so we can avoid confusion in the
future.
   So, I'm not sure that we need to go on about the attribute authority
per se, but we do need to go on about what a resource manager (not that
this in the model :-)) does with an attribute assertion before it calls
the authZ PDP for an authorization decision.

RLBMorgan: (2) Existing use cases should have their terminology aligned
with that of the Domain Model, which explicitly includes an Attribute
Authority that generates Attribute Assertions.  To the extent that
existing use cases use other terminology or muddy concepts, they
should be aligned with the Domain Model, and should illustrate the
function of the Attribute Authority.

JHodges: (2) this issue is a result of terminological muddiness in
draft-sstc-use-strawman-03 et al. draft-sstc-use-strawman-03 needs to be
normalized with draft-sstc-use-domain-03. [the latter perhaps should be
incorporated into the next rev of the former]

ISSUE:[UC-4-03:PrivateKeyHost]
Marlena:(3) The wording of this ballot was confusing.  Binding a payload
to an authN assertion is what the resolutions concerned themselves with
(and I don't believe we need a new use-case or requirement for this),
but the text of the issue says
"A user may allow a server to host a private key."  And the issue
name is PrivateKeyHost and not something like "BindPayload."
   These don't seem like the same thing to me.

JHodges: (3)  this is outta scope and is already being addressed elsewhere (tho
some SSTC folk are involved) see..

http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/sacred-charter.html

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sacred-reqs-02.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sacred-framework-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sacred-scenarios-00.txt

Securley Available Credentials; Speaker - Magnus Nystrom
http://www.appcluster05.com/images/123/stamon11.pdf

************
* Group 10
************
ISSUE:[UC-10-01:Framework]
RLBMorgan: (1) Obviously it needs to be clarified.  We will be motivated to
clarify *what* extensibility is required if we remove and rework it.

JHodges: (2) but we need to extensively re-work it.

ISSUE:[UC-10-02:ExtendAssertionData]
Marlena: (2)  The core group is working on the format of
assertions and messages.  We are addressing extensibility there.
I don't believe we need a requirement on either assertion data or
messages for extensibility.  I think that the existing
extensibility requirement is adequate as is.
  BTW,  who said, "Assertions are the 'nouns' of SAML"? The
assertions I'm aware of say things like "Alice is a plumber", "Alice
can read file foo", "Alice authenticated with a name/pwd pair".
These sure seem like sentences to me.

Irving: (2) This is a design decision to implement the general extensibility
requirement.

RLBMorgan: (2) This is not the clarification that is needed.  There must be
a framework for adding well-defined extensions.

ISSUE:[UC-10-03:ExtendMessageData]
Irving: (2) Another design decision.

ISSUE:[UC-10-04:ExtendMessageTypes]
RLBMorgan: (2) This is OK as far as it goes, but is incomplete.  There must
be a framework for adding new message types, as other protocols (eg
IMAP) have.

ISSUE:[UC-10-05:ExtendAssertionTypes]
RLBMorgan: (2) Same as UC-10-04.

ISSUE:[UC-10-06:BackwardCompatibleExtensions]
RLBMorgan: (1) Given that extensions are defined by not-yet-completed
requirements, this is a reasonable thing to say about them.

JHodges: (1, sorta) this actually needs to be mixed-into the [R-Extensible] requirement
statement.

ISSUE:[UC-10-07:ExtensionNegotiation]
Hal: (3) I don't think SAML should do this, but I think the final decision should be
a matter of  design not requirements.

RLBMorgan: (1) This is necessary if extensibility is to be done at all.

JHodges: (1, sorta) this actually needs to be mixed-into the [R-Extensible] requirement
statement. I feel that extension negotiation is a "MUST" if one's protocol
supports the notion of extensions.

**************
*  Group 12
**************

ISSUE:[UC-12-01:Confidentiality]
ESP: (1) I have a lot of trepidation about this one, since I believe that
it's difficult to build in to SAML. But at the same time it's an
important principle, and I am having a hard time having us NOT apply
it. The requirement is general enough that it could be applied at the
protocol bindings level or as encryption of assertions or messages
without a change. Although I can see cases where in-the-clear SAML
data would be useful, in general I believe this is the right choice.

Marlena: (2) Whether or nor messages are cryptographically protected is
a deployment issue. I don't see a reason to legislate a cryptographic
confidentiality mechanism if an organization deems it unnecessary.

JHodges: (1) but the term "SAML data" is vague and undefined.

ISSUE: [UC-12-02:AssertionConfidentiality]
ESP: (3) We have to call it one way or the other. Unless we build our own,
apply a non-XML encryption mechanism, or wait for XML-Encryption --
none of which are very tasty.

RLBMorgan: (1) Regarding the readiness of XML Encryption, it's OK to state
a requirement that our initial design may not be able to meet.

JHodges: (4) rationale: redundant

ISSUE:[UC-12-03:EncryptionMethod]
RLBMorgan: (4)  This is design-time decision-making.

***************
*  Group 13
***************
Prateek: My approach here is to go with the more specific requirements as it isnt
clear to me that the more "abstract" requirements can be "met" in any
verifiable way.

ISSUE:[UC-13-01:Scalability]
Marlena: (a)  Of course SAML should allow for scalable implementations!
This doesn't seem like a 'requirement' however.  I'm not sure though
so I'm abstaining.

RLBMorgan: (2) I should have written defensible text on this, but I didn't.

ISSUE:[UC-13-02:EfficientMessages]
Marlena: (2) Among the best pieces of design advice I've ever gotten was
"optimize later". :-)

RLBMorgan: (1) This may be motherhood and apple pie, but it's important to
have it stated so it's a well-known factor in design tradeoffs.

JHodges: (1) I suppose it's worth stating explicitly.

ISSUE:[UC-13-03:OptionalAuthentication]
RLBMorgan: (2) I agree in spirit, but it's too low-level a statement.
There should be a way to capture security-considerations kinds of
concerns in our requirements doc, but there doesn't seem to be ...

ISSUE:[UC-13-05:SecurityPolicy]
Marlena: (2)  The proposal is 'motherhood and apple pie' but as
a 'requirement' it is far too loose IMO.  An enumeration of
specific "common institutional policies" that SAML should support would
be good candidates for requirements.

ISSUE:[UC-13-06:ReferenceReqt]
Hal: (3) I favor the use of references (values with no inherent semantics) vs.
compressed, encrypted  assertions, but I think this is an engineering
decision, not a requirement.

Irving: (3) This decision belongs to the Bindings group.

RLBMorgan: (3) References are a design solution to a design problem, namely
sending things via browsers.  At design time this solution will come
up.  The requirement of supporting browser-based communication is
captured elsewhere.

JHodges: (3) "reference" is undefined and vague and way too deep into design-time
detail.

*  Group 2