Subject: Suggestion on How to Deal With Unresolved Issues

So, we're going to have a number of unresolved issues on the issue
list going in to F2F #2. One possibility of what could happen is this:
we all get to the F2F, present the document for inclusion in the spec,
and then go through a day's worth of amendments and discussions until
everyone is so frustrated with the proceedings that the document is
referred back to this subcommittee again.

Personally, I would really prefer if this document was not referred
back again for another round of editing -- I think we've hammered away
at it quite enough.

Example: we get to the F2F, do roll call, and the first item is, "I
move that we drop [R-UserSession] from SAML." Then follows 1.75 hours
of discussion about what a session is, where and how it fits into the
SAML model, whether it's appropriate, how normative the requirements
are, etc., etc. Next issue: "I move that we add policy assertions to
SAML." Another 1.75 hours, etc., etc.

Instead, what I'd like to suggest is this:

1) People with concerns about certain issues review the issues list
   (published later today) to determine the voting results on that
   issue.

2) People concerned about issues that were not resolved create "draft
   reports" on those issues. I think Jeff Hodges pointed out before
   that any member of the TC may submit a draft on any (reasonable)
   subject. This is a good time to do it. People with similar views
   should probably collaborate on these drafts.

3) After creating and submitting those draft reports, the dissenter
   notifies the TC at large (on the main list) that they intend to
   bring the issue in their draft up for a vote at the F2F.

The goal here is to avoid the hours-long debate on (read: explanation
of) what each point is that we're voting on at the F2F. If we come in
to the F2F well-prepared -- both as a subcommittee and as individuals
representing our respective organizations -- we can keep the
proceedings moving at a good clip and get more work done.

There's over a week to prepare and submit drafts.

~ESP