semantic-ex message

Subject: RE: [semantic-ex] SEE Frequently Asked Questions

Jean-Luc,

I have already replied to this question in my previous email. Just to
clarify further. We recognize the need to align with existing specifications
and standards and we will build on top of them (just take a look into our
charter), but the role of SEE TC is not really to focus on components, but
on the infrastructure.

> 2) what's the "mapping between WSML ontologies and OWL" you told about ?
> WSML isn't a triple based ontologies (reusing RDF and OWL too) ?
With WSML we investigate different language paradigms for the specification
of ontologies.

One such paradigm is Description Logics, which forms the basis of OWL DL.
One variant of WSML, namely WSML-DL, has been designed to be semantically
equivalent to OWL and another variant, WSML-Core, is semantically a subset
of OWL DL.

Since we did not want to limit ourselves to the DL-based modeling primitives
in OWL and since we wanted to base the epistemology of WSML on WSMO, the
syntax of WSML is quite different from OWL DL. In order to enable
interoperability we have specified a mapping between the two languages.

With respect to RDF we can say the following. We have specified an RDF
syntax for WSML which reuses the RDF and RDFS vocabularies to the largest
extent. In this sense the specification of the RDF syntax of WSML is similar
to the specification of the RDF syntax of OWL DL.

WSML mailing list [1] is a good place to get any further clarifications
concerning language.

Michal

[1] wsml@lists.deri.org