semantic-ex message

Subject: RE: [semantic-ex] First draft SWS architecture document

Cyrille,

As I have it currently in my mind, we have (at least) two types of services in SEE infrastructure. You have (1) fixed set of services (e.g. discovery, data mediator, process mediator, etc.) which are defined by static API and you have (2) world of dynamic services which are bind dynamically. Both types of services are described using the same formalism (whatever this formalism is).

When we were doing initial work on WSMX [1] we were talking in terms of components for fixed services and just services for these services that we bind dynamically. I was recently attending Service Oriented Computing in Dagstuhl and I realized that SOC community still cannot give a convincing argument how these two differ. That is why I would prefer to say, that in SEE infrastructure everything is a service, just some of these services are having fixed interfaces.

I CC group, as I definitely believe we should ask for opinions of others on thisJ.

Michal

[1] www.wsmx.org

From: Cyrille Thilloy [mailto:cyrille@thilloy.com]
Sent: 01 December 2005 16:10
To: Michal Zaremba

Hello Michal,

Regarding the Table of content of the document I have alomost a “philosophical” concern regarding the SEE API. Should it be an API or an XML-based contract/protocol? APIs always force static bindings while contracts allow dynamic/runtime bindings. I think the adoption of WS for SOA is, at least in part, coming form the decoupling provided by the service interface/contract. SOA or services could have been done in RPCs, CORBA-IDL, RMI, etc but this would have implies the static compilation of stubs on both end of the communication channel (client & server).

Let me know what you think about that and if the subject should be discussed during the conf. call

(I am sorry but won't be available for the conf. call.).

Regards,

Cyrille
Michal Zaremba <michal.zaremba@deri.org> wrote:

Hi,

Please find attached first draft of SWS architecture document. I have made
initial proposal for a table of contents, which should be discussed
tomorrow. We will also have to decide who takes care of which section.

Michal

Michal Zaremba
Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI) Galway

Phone: +353 91 495009
Mobile: +353 85 7195862
Fax: +353 91 495541

DERI web: http://www.deri.ie