semantic-ex message

Subject: Proposal for fig 2. of architecture document

Hi,

The attached image is a proposal for replacing Figure 2. SEE Infrastructure in the SEE Architecture document. My drawing could definitely be improved but I wanted to get the idea sent out before the phone-con. I’d like to discuss this today – Mick could you add to the agenda.

The differences are small but I believe important. Essentially, I don’t believe the problem solving layer should be shown as part of the SEE architecture but I do believe that we need to show somehow that semantics are necessary throughout the SEE architecture.

The concept of a problem solving layer and its functionality is important but I think it’ not in the scope of this document. I don’t think we ever intended to describe the details of developer tools or applications or domain ontologies? I believe that we have to be able to describe clearly whatever we include in this figure.

I’m also including ‘orchestration’ as I believe its not covered by the ‘composition’. My thinking is that we separate the functions of composing and executing an orchestration of services (or goals). The composition component can generate an orchestration description while the orchestration component executes orchestration descriptions.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew Moran

Digital Enterprise Research Institute