set message

Subject: Data Types...

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for bringing up the data types issue during yesterday's telco and commenting on that it would be good if HL7 data types are harmonized with UN/CEFACT CCTS datatypes.

Allow me to mention that there is an ISO effort "Health Informatics - Harmonized data types for information interchange (ISO/DIS 21090:2008)" in which ISO, CEN and HL7 are collaborating to harmonize the data types:
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=35646

Just in case, the HL7 Version 3 Standard: Data Types - Abstract Specification, Release 2 is available from:

http://www.hl7.org/v3ballot/html/infrastructure/datatypes_r2/datatypes_r2.htm

I am lost on which standard body should contact the other on further harmonization.

Best regards,

Asuman