set message

Subject: Re: [set] Review and Comments on initial draft Semantic Representationsof the UN/CEFACT CCTS-based Electronic Business Document

Dear Dale,

Many thanks for your valuable comments. We will work on them
and will share our thoughts with you.

Best regards,

Asuman

Moberg Dale wrote:

>   *Review and Comments *
>

>   *Semantic Representations of the UN/CEFACT CCTS-based Electronic
>   Business Document *
>

>       *Review*
>
> GS1, UBL, and OAGIS documents will all eventually be semantically
> harmonized with the CCTS information model and with the CC Library.
> Harmonization means that document structure will be mapped into CCTS
> information model patterns and that semantic primitives for messages
> will be found in the CC Library.
>
> SET has proposed an ¡°upper ontology¡± of OWL DL assertions, with
> content taken from the CCTS model of business information. The upper
> ontology is combined with additional assertions describing information
> structures from messages that are defined by the message standards
> bodies (GS1, UBL, and OAGIS).
>
> The ontologies are combined and ¡°classified¡± to produce a completed
> set of asserted and inferred OWL claims, containing many class
> equivalences. These equivalences form the basis for maps between
> information elements within the overall documents. The resulting maps
> are not normally complete, and ¡°heuristic¡± rules are used to derive
> additional class equivalences until all ¡°corresponding¡± parts of
> documents are connected. (For a given pair of documents, it may still
> be that some parts in either document have no parts in the other; each
> document may, for example, make use of some semantic primitives not
> found in the other.
>

>       *Comments & Questions.*
>
> Given that GS1, UBL and OAGIS are seeking to harmonize against the CC
> Library, there should be a number of correlations based not on the
> CCTS models, but on the low level maps of document parts to core
> components. David Webber leveraged these ¡°couplets¡± to discover
> equivalences through the UID dictionary cross-references which he then
> adds to his transforms or CAM templates. In the METU approach, UBL
> CityName.Name correlates with CCL CityName.Text which correlates with
> GS1 city.Text. These correlations are derived using an additional
> equivalence, 54.Name.Type *¡Ô *Text.Type that allows some surface
> conventions to be abstracted away. My question is whether the need for
> such rules might be diminished by using a more direct correlation
> stemming from the UIDs being equal?
>
> More generally, the framework provided in the current draft seems to
> combine a very constrained DL approach to knowledge representation and
> inference, with several escape mechanisms to maneuver around various
> obstacles tied to both the ontology¡¯s limited content (insufficient to
> derive various needed equivalences) and the inference engines
> constraints on inferences.
>
> The need for Jess based augmentation of inferences^^[i] <#_edn1> and
> special rules that have sufficient content to derive additional
> equivalences seems to be ¡°a patch¡± for something that points to an
> inadequacy in the CCTS model, the CC Libraries (which may not be
> [...]

Professor Asuman Dogac             email: asuman@srdc.metu.edu.tr
WWW: http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/~asuman/
Director                           Phone: +90 (312) 210 5598, or
Software R&D Center                       +90 (312) 210 2076
Department of Computer Eng.        Fax: +90 (312) 210 5572                      Middle East Technical University        +90 (312) 210 1259
06531 Ankara Turkey                      skype: adogac