set message

Subject: Re: Visual documents for UBL?

Dear Svante,

Enclosed please find my responses in line.

Svante Schubert wrote:
> Dear Asuman,
>
> First of all, shall I write/resent this as an OASIS comment, bringing
> my interest into public?
I will appreciate if you could do so. At the end of this email, I will
provide you information
on this.

> I reviewed your paper regarding my scenario - loading UBL XML into an
> OpenDocument XML format text template to be viewed and printed, but
> still being annotated using RDF triples.
>
> It seems your goal is to create a vocabulary covering all UN/CEFACT
> CCTS-based Electronic Business Document Artifacts, which come from
> more than one XML dialect.
> As I am not aware of these dialects, is there one which is the
> superset of the others?
> In that case it might be possible to focus on that format.
> Otherwise as any user will always be in need to map an XML tree of a
> certain dialect to an RDF graph, I would suggest to split the approach
> in multiple vocabularies (one for each XML) and declare the
> equality/similarity via OWL.
UN/CEFACT CCTS can be thought of as the super set of some of the
most common electronic document standards. I am enclosing a survey paper
on this:
Kabak Y., Dogac A., "A Survey and Analysis of Electronic Business
Document Standards"
to appear in ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 42, issue # 3 (September 2010).

> Some questions:
>
>     * Is your current OWL vocabulary provided in the draft available
>       as an download package?
>     * The OWL classes are using often rdf:ID, what are there absolute URL?
>     * Is there a GRDDL from the addressed XML dialects to RDF available?
>     * Even a roundtrip XML-> RDF -> XML seems desirable, are there
>       sources already available?

The most recent version of all of the tools mentioned in the SET TC
document are
available from:

http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/iSURF/OASIS-SET-TC/tools/ISU-latest.zip

The installation guide is inside the "docs" folder in the zip file.

If you prefer to use the tool interface directly, it is already deployed
on one
of our servers. You can reach it from the following link:

http://144.122.230.66:9090/ISU/web

Recently, Jaewook Kim (jaewook.kim@nist.gov) from NIST istalled this
software and used it.

> In the next days I will ask on the semantic web interest if there is
> any known attempt in generic mapping an XML schema to an OWL grammar.
> Earlier I have already created for ODF an OWL grammar [1], where the
> rdf:type of an odf:element is the URI of the element namespace [2].
> Why inventing an URL for an OWL class representing an XML elements,
> which itself is already identified by an URI.
> As the XML will not exist in the RDF graph context, the elements can
> there be used with a different intention.
>
> If no generic mapping tool exist, I got something such a tool could be
> based on:
> I am currently working on DOM library for ODF.
> We use a typed DOM and generate all the Java DOM elements from the
> RelaxNG.
> For this reason we got the here important library, which maps a schema
> to an arbitrary template including script (currently the library is
> named relaxng2template). In the short future the library will be
> refactored to use the Sun Multischema Validator (MSV) to parse/load
> the schema (in our case ODF RelaxNG) and from that model we fill
> templates. Either HTML templates for documentation (e.g. our prototype
> http://odftoolkit.org/downloads/odfdom/OpenDocument-v1.2-draft/OdfReference.html)
> or Java classes as typed DOM element/attribute/datatype classes for
> the main project ODFDOM. Now a template being an OWL grammar might be
> used to automatically generate an OWL vocabulary from any XML dialect
> schema MSV is capable (ie. RELAX NG, RELAX Namespace, RELAX Core,
> TREX, XML DTDs, and a subset of XML Schema Part 1).
> FYI for creating the templates we will be using the Apache Velocity
> template engine providing a huge functionality and excellent
> documentation.
For automatically converting XML to RDF, we have previously used the
MAFRA tool
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hmafra/
There are others such as:
http://www.openhealth.org/RDF/rdf_Syntax_and_Names.htm

Here is how you can exchange your ideas with OASIS SET TC:

You may either become a member of the TC and use
"set@lists.oasis-open.org" mailing list, or you can use the comment
list. The latter is described in
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=set:

"In order to verify your consent to the Feedback License terms and to
minimize spam in the list archive, you must subscribe to the list before
posting. To subscribe, send a blank email message to
set-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org. Once you confirm your
at any time. When posting to the comment list, please include specific
information in the "Subject: " line identifying the topic, especially in
communications that provide input on TC specifications."

I am copying this email to SET TC mailing list.

Best regards,

Asuman

> Looking forward to your answers!
>
> PS: Just a minor note, I realized during reading that not all chapters
> got a normative/informative description.
>
> Best regards,
> Svante
>
> [1]
> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/33631/OpenDocument-schemas-v1.2-part1-cd03.zip
> [2]
> http://odftoolkit.org/downloads/odfdom/OpenDocument-v1.2-draft/OpenDocument-v1.2-part1-cd02-rev03.xhtml#a_3_2_2_7_odf_Element
>
> Prof. Dr. Asuman Dogac wrote:
>> Dear Svante,
>>
>> Within the scope of OASIS Semantic Support for Electronic Business
>> Document Interoperability (SET) TC
>> (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=set)
>> we have provided the OWL specifications of both UBL document
>> constructs and the UBL schemas.
>>
>> Enclosed please find this document.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Asuman
>>
>> Tim McGrath wrote:
>>> Thanks for your enquiry.
>>> Some UBL resources are listed at the ubl.xml.org web site and the
>>> correct list for any general enquiries is called ubl-dev, this is an
>>> unmoderated, public mail list that provides an open forum for
>>> developers to exchange ideas and information on implementing the UBL
>>> OASIS Standard.
>>>
>>> You can subscribe to ubl-dev using the OASIS list manager at
>>> http://www.oasis-open.org/mlmanage/
>>> and view the ubl-list archives at
>>> http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/
>>>
>>> As far as templates go, the person who can best answer in Ken Holman
>>> (copied on this email).
>>>
>>> As for OWL, I know that Prof. Asuman Dogac has done work on this so
>>> I have copied her as well.
>>>
>>> I look forward to seeing your results, let me know if I can assist
>>> further.

>> PS. Please note the change in the phone and fax numbers. Thank you.

PS. Please note the change in the phone and fax numbers. Thank you.

Professor Asuman Dogac             email: asuman@srdc.metu.edu.tr
WWW: http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/~asuman/
Director                           Phone: +90 (312) 210 1393, or
Software R&D Center                       +90 (312) 210 1763
Department of Computer Eng.        Fax: +90 (312) 210 1837
Middle East Technical University
06531 Ankara Turkey                      skype: adogac

KabakDogacCSUR.pdf