set message

Subject: Re: OASIS SET

Dear Hideki,

Many thanks for your email and your interest in the SET TC Work.
I will truly appreciate if interested colleagues join the SET TC.
Here are brief answers to your points:

* - Vision/Mission of SET*

 The purpose of this SET TC deliverable is to provide standard semantic
representations of
electronic document artifacts based on UN/CEFACT Core Component
Technical Specification
(CCTS)  and hence to facilitate the development of tools to support
semantic interoperability.
The basic idea is to explicate the semantic information that is already
given both in the CCTS
and the CCTS based document standards in a standard way to make this
information available
for automated document interoperability tool support.

Recently, we have also taken a more practical approach to the document
modeling
problem and have developed the iSURF eDoCreator as I have announced at the
TC Web site today.

*  - How will SET change the way we do business*

 The interoperability of the electronic documents exchanged in eBusiness
applications is an important problem in industry. Currently, this
problem is handled by
the mapping experts who understand who understand the semantic meaning
of each entity in specific
document schemas and define the mappings among them which is a very
costly and tedious process.

In order to improve electronic document interoperability,
the UN/CEFACT produced the Core Components Technical Specification (CCTS)
which defines a common structure and semantic properties for document
artifacts.

However, at present, this document content information is available only
through text-based search mechanisms and tools.
In SET TC, we explicate the semantics of CCTS based business document
standards  through a formal, machine processable language as an ontology.
In this way, it becomes possible to compute a harmonized
ontology, which gives the similarities among document schema ontology
classes of different document standards
through both the semantic properties they share and the semantic
equivalences established
through reasoning. However, as expected, the harmonized
ontology only helps discovering the similarities of structurally and
semantically equivalent elements.
In order to handle the structurally different but semantically similar
document artifacts, heuristic rules are
developed describing the possible ways of organizing simple document
artifacts
into compound artifacts as defined in the CCTS methodology.

Finally, the equivalences discovered among document schema ontologies
are used for the semi-automated generation of XSLT definitions
for the translation of document instances.

Additionally, we have developed the iSURF eDoCreator.

*- What would be the products that benefits from SET *

Electronic Business Document modeling and mapping tools will
benefit from SET TC work.

Currently, we have developed a new tool set to support the
SET TC goals of facilitating electronic business document interoperability.

The new tool set, namely, iSURF eDoCreator provides an online common
UN/CEFACT CCTS based document component modeling repository and is available
from the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud:

http://79.125.15.30:8080/srdc/eDoCreator/

The current version of this tool integrates the machine processable version
of the UBL paper-based Naming and Design rules as well as the customization
guidelines. In this way, iSURF eDoCreator
environment maximizes the re-use of available document building blocks and
minimizes the tedious document design and customization efforts.
The environment also proved to be very useful in performing the
gap analysis between different customizations of UBL.

The tool is currently being used as the document design tool
(including XML Schema Generation) and the repository for
UBL 2.1 Documents.

As already mentioned, currently, the tool automates the UBL Naming and
Design rules. However, if there is enough interest in the community, we
intend
to automate the Naming and Design Rules of
some other electronic business document standards so that when it comes to
document mapping between two document schemas from different document
standards, rather than using some heuristic rules and reasoning, we can
obtain
some of the mapping information directly from the iSURF eDoCreator
repository.

Once again, many thanks for your interest in SET TC and I look forward
to further participation.

Best regards,

Asuman

Hideki Hiura wrote:
> Hello Professor Asuman,
>
> I'm Hideki Hiura, currently a primary contact for Justsystems at
> OASIS, mainly working on DITA, ODF, UBL.
> I have not participated into SET work yet :-).
>
> However, I've been observing your interesting SET activitieswork
> at OASIS.
>
> I know several people whom intrested in SET, but are kinda hesitate
> to step forward.
>
> So I'd like to give them a quick introduction, especialy the
> vision type of statements (that you must have been giving a talk
> everywhere, especially in early stage of SET work)
>
> Would it be possible for you to give me a couple of statement
> explaining a couple of key points such as follows for novices(includidng me).
>   - Vision/Mission of SET
>   - How will SET change the way we do business
>   - What would be the products that benefits from SET
>
> Founders' passion would be greatly appreciated.
> I may be able to recrute some of the people who expressed their interest.
>
> Best Regarads,
> Hideki Hiura
>
> --
> Hideki Hiura
> hiura@{OpenI18N,linuxfoundation,unicode}.org
> http://www.openi18n.org, http://linuxfoundaton.org, http://unicode.org

PS. Please note the change in the phone and fax numbers. Thank you.

Professor Asuman Dogac
WWW: http://www.srdc.metu.edu.tr/~asuman/
Director                           Phone: +90 (312) 210 1393, or
Software R&D Center                       +90 (312) 210 1763
Department of Computer Eng.        Fax: +90 (312) 210 1837
Middle East Technical University
06531 Ankara Turkey