smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS EnergyInteroperation Technical Committee

Bill,

On the draft - looks good.

On the OpenADR schemas - there's a whole raft of issues, inconsistencies and design gaps that I've uncovered after running them through CAM and building dictionary of their content model.

Definately shows that we need the "OASIS touch" to ensure simple, optimized, consistent and clean schemas - so that interoperable and lightweight messaging is provided.

I'm just in the middle of a new release for CAM - plus I have work I owe on the OASIS EML TC - so will be next week before I have a chance to write up my findings and submit to OpenADR - but these would all be aspects I'd see we would want to correct if taking on the task here in OASIS of having public standard.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS
Energy Interoperation Technical Committee
From: Glenn Skutt <gskutt@vpt-es.com>
Date: Sun, February 15, 2009 1:02 pm
To: smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org

Bill,

Thanks for posting this draft; I will read through it to see if I can find the answers to my questions and concerns and/or throw in suggestions for things I think need addressing.

But, since I've had these questions and issues for a while I'll take a couple minutes to throw them out to the group as well:

1.) I am working on bidirectional power management for the grid and this seems to be something that gets very little mention in this standards work.  Specifically, I am interested in vehicle-to-grid connection that allows for distributed energy storage solutions.  The use of grig-connected vehicles and other distributed storage mechanisms to allow grid support, spinning reserve, peak shaving, power quality support, etc.  represents a major opportunity for smart-grid operation, but it also seems to be low priority or "someday, maybe" in terms of standards.

2.) The mass of different standards and organizations related to energy control, demand response, home area networks, etc. is dizzying and hard to handle for a new vendor eying the development of actual hardware.  I understand that the likelihood that any one standard can satisfy the many different requirements of different players, but it is extremely confusing to come to this field and find so many different organizations proclaiming themselves as the "standard".  So, I have a concern/question re: whether we should put a lot of effort into this work or just go work to make sure that one of the many other standards starts to gain momentum or expands enough to include issues that drive us to want to have another new one.

As I said, I am interested in reading through this and seeing if I can contribute anything useful, and hopefully all will become clear.

Thanks and regards,

-Glenn Skutt
Glenn Skutt
VPT Energy Systems