smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS EnergyInteroperation Technical Committee

Edward,

There's several technology techniques to assist with this.

1) Defining a consistent dictionary of domain components

2) Providing a formal extension mechanism and templates for localizations

3) Allow people to submit enhancements back to the process - and create new messages that fit the existing set.

We are successfully providing these in many OASIS efforts - for example the OASIS EML.

The value proposition then drives adoption - because people see the cost savings and interoperability they gain by working within the OASIS framework instead of across it.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS
Energy Interoperation Technical Committee
From: Edward Koch <ed@akuacom.com>
Date: Sun, February 15, 2009 8:14 pm
To: "smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org"
<smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>

When defining the requirements for how the various interactions between energy providers and their customers are transacted, we will find that they will be specified at various levels of abstraction.  One level of requirements that the UCAIug will be able to define (no doubt expressed as a collection of use cases) is to specify WHAT interactions are required for the Utility/ISO’s currently envisioned processes.  Another level of requirements that I believe OASIS will play a major role in defining is the MANNER in which those interactions are transacted.  The requirements of symmetry, composition, and transparency that Toby enumerates are examples of this.  As an aside I think these are very good requirements and I agree with them.

The responsibility of OASIS should be to insure that not only can the currently envisioned set of use cases be fulfilled, but that some of the future uses cases that were not envisioned be made possible by imposing further requirements on the manner in which the transactions are conducted. Almost by definition these types of requirements are not easily expressed as use cases since if they could then they would have been envisioned.

The duality of the WHAT type of interactions that UCAIug can bring to the table coupled with the MANNER of transactions that OASIS can add is why I am so bullish on the collaboration between UCAIug and OASIS.

I don’t want to imply that OASIS will not contribute to defining WHAT interactions are supported.  In fact I think that OASIS can play a major role in helping to represent the non-Utility/ISO side of the equation, but if there is not buy in from the Utility/ISO’s those requirements will likely become irrelevant.  Furthermore as anyone that has done business with Utility/ISO’s can tell you, transformative change is problematic.

-ed koch