smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS EnergyInteroperation Technical Committee

James,

I can shed some light on this.  A few months ago that was a meeting to discuss how best to move OpenADR into a formal SDO.  There were representatives at the meeting from a number of different standards organizations including representatives from IEC.  In fact there were representatives from both TC-8 and TC-57 at that meeting.  The general the consensus was that IEC was probably the best SDO to move this work into, but that the right path to do that was to first develop it in both UCAIug and OASIS and then move it into IEC.  Both UCAIug and OASIS have strong ties to IEC and everyone felt that taking this path would make things much smoother and faster.

A number of people on this mailing list were on that conference call so I’ll let them chime in on this topic.

I thought there was some mention in the charter about IEC, but perhaps nothing that reflects what I stated above. Maybe there should be.

-ed koch

From: Mater, James [mailto:JMater@qualitylogic.com]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 12:08 PM
To: William Cox; smartgrid-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Mary Ann Piette

Bill et al,

I’m puzzled by the lack of any mention of the work of the IEC on Smart Grid standards.  The mention of the CIMug sort of addresses this (IEC 61968) but the IEC seems to have a major effort to develop a number of standards that are applicable to the SmartGrid and they have significant international influence.

How does the OASIS OpenADR relate to the work of the IEC on the issue of demand-response?

My perspective is from the standpoint of a company that may be providing validation and certification tools and services for Smart Grid interoperability.  The fewer competing standards or implementations of standards the better from my point-of-view.

Regards,

James Mater

Co-Founder and Director

QualityLogic, Inc