smartgrid-discuss message

Subject: Re: [smartgrid-discuss] Draft charter for proposed OASIS Energy InteroperationTechnical Committee

Perhaps my message was misunderstood.  I was not advocating the
creation of any new security protocols (I think we have enough
already to secure data and infrastructure - they're just not
applied effectively - but that's another matter).

I agree that the business-focused members of this TC should do
what they're best at - solving business problems.  However, my
message is that the TC should overtly include security-minded
individuals, and establish explicit security goals for the
business protocols so that the new smart grid infrastructure
is secure from day-one and not an afterthought.

Ultimately, the risk-management decisions of the smart grid are
a business function; only the implementation and operations of
those risk-management policies are a security function. If the
business protocols do not spell-out the security requirements,
then the business shouldn't expect to get what they didn't ask
for.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.