smartgrid-interest message

Subject: Call for support on proposed OASIS WS-Calendar Committee

I am writing to inform you of the pending formation of the WS-Calendar Technical Committee (TC) in OASIS. The attached charter is ready for submission to OASIS to formally create the TC after a review period. Thanks to the many reviewers; all remaining errors are mine. As the charter is not yet submitted formally, I welcome any additional comments.

One of the most fundamental acts of negotiating services is when something should occur. One would guess that this has been already well established, well completed. I know I assumed so when I was talking about the fundamental information that we needed to add for scheduling in the OASIS oBIX (web services to building systems) Technical Committee. This simple function, surprisingly, is not yet ready for use.

Schedules, and exchanging schedule proposals, will be absolutely essential to smart grids and to building services.

On the smart grid, we will be constantly comparing schedules. Energy, and energy use, ebbs and flows each day. Wind farm generation varies with the season as well as with the day. Wave energy varies with the tides, and thereby with the moon. Solar energy, both thermal and photovoltaic, varies with the season, the day, and the weather. Next Tuesday at 10:00 power will be expensive. The factory is able to sell excess cogeneration back to the grid during the lunch break, 12:15 to 1:00 five days a week. The office building can shut down early in response to the grid because almost everyone is at the sales meeting. The primary benefits of the smart grid are from aligning supply and demand.

In the enterprise-responsive building, rooms and access control should respond to normal business events in the building. Schedule a meeting for 9 people in Conference Room 2 on the third floor? Catering a wedding for 200 in ballrooms A and B? The building system should prepare that room to be comfortable by then, and plan for adequate ventilation to keep that many people alert. Enterprise responsive buildings can move beyond efficiency to doing the right thing at the right time.

Financial markets, too, need to standardize scheduling. Traditional market rules were tacit and often tied to location-based operating schedules. “All transactions must be cleared by the close of trading on the exchange.” With many markets now merged across countries and time-zones, these rules no longer make sense. 24 hour electronic trading requires that schedules actually be specified.

The enterprise intersects with all of these realms. Business operations are already scheduled in corporate calendars, but there is no ready way to share this information with the services that support these operations. Increasing these services will come from the realms described above, from smart energy, from building operations, and from global financial services. Communication of schedule and interval must be consistent across these domains. Sustainable operations require that we move beyond doing things efficiently; we must do them at the right time.

Our personal lives will intersect more and more with these external services. Electric cars will require interactions with smart grids in support of personal and family schedules. Privacy concerns suggest that these interactions be loose service integrations, with the deep processes that make up our lives hidden and un-shared.

WS-Calendar is a proposed OASIS Technical Committee (TC) whose goal is to adapt the existing specifications for calendaring to develop a standard for how schedule and event information is passed between and within services. WS-Calendar is unlikely to be used by itself. A calendar event without associated contract is of little use. The anticipated use of WS-Calendar is to be incorporated inside other specifications and standards, bringing a common scheduling function to diverse interactions in different domains.

WS-Calendar should adopt the semantics and vocabulary of iCalendar for application to the completion of web service contracts. The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium (CalConnect) are the domain experts in interactions between enterprise calendar systems, PIMs, and web-based calendars. CalConnect is the principle locus for maintaining calendar-related standards, including iCalendar, within the IETF. CalConnect and OASIS have recently completed an agreement wherein CalConnect will work within OASIS to develop service oriented calendar schedule components for use in smart grids and other scenarios.

The goal is to create an XML vocabulary that can be used in a broad range of market exchanges with minimal differences for the various consumers of the information. This work addresses the priority action (PAP04) to develop a Common Scheduling Mechanism for Energy Transactions (http://collaborate.nist.gov/twiki-sggrid/bin/view/SmartGrid/PAP04Schedules) in the NIST Smart Grid program. WS-Calendar is anticipated as component for the existing smart-grid related TCs Energy Interop and EMIX. oBIX plans to incorporate it into its next revision.

If you would like to be added as a supporter, please contact me or Bill Cox immediately; I'll be sending reconfirmation emails to those on my list in the next 24 hours or so.

Thanks for your interest.

"Energy and persistence conquer all things." -- Benjamin Franklin

Toby Considine
TC9, Inc

Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
OASIS Technical Advisory Board