smartgrid-interest message

Subject: RE: [smartgrid-interest] Is there a difference? (Time and Schedule)

While I think Ed C has a very good point concerning the CIM, I agree with David’s point and tend to prefer specifications that reduce the ability to create illegal instances of data.  The fewer illegal instances of data a consumer has to deal with the simpler and more robust the whole system will be. It is worth pointing out that a lot of the security holes in today’s systems were exposed as flaws in a protocol stack’s ability to handle malformed or illegal data parameters in messages. This type of vulnerability becomes magnified in lower end systems where engineers are cutting corners in their resource constrained devices.

-ed koch

From: Ed Cazalet [mailto:ed@cazalet.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:27 AM
To: 'David RR Webber (XML)'; Toby.Considine@gmail.com
Cc: smartgrid-interest@lists.oasis-open.org

In CIM and OpenSG I believe they use start/end.  I think the reason is that even though meter reads may be scheduled every 15 min or prices published every 5 min, occasionally the read or the published time does not happen on a regular duration.  While a start/duration would work with a variable duration, I think we should be consistent with their start/end practice.

Edward G. Cazalet, Ph.D.

101 First Street, Suite 552

Los Altos, CA 94022

650-949-5274