soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Suggestion

Daniel,

Here is my take on trying to continue this thread.  As I was trying to
frame the problem - I couldn't quite get a handle on whether our group
is focused more on what is delivered vs. defining some best practices on
how to create the deliverables.

If we look at the process perspective, can we start at what are the
prerequisites for beginning to build the SOA blueprint? As an example,
it might be that a domain model and some business use cases are required
to start building the blueprints.  Part of our task could be showing how
to take these prerequisite artifacts and translate them into the set of
deliverables that comprise the SOA blueprints.

Miko - I am anxious to see the information that Steve contributed - you
did a great job of selling it last night :-)

Thanks,

Robert Porch
Booz Allen Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: marchadr@wellsfargo.com [mailto:marchadr@wellsfargo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:14 PM
To: soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org; mmatsumura@infravio.com
Subject: [soa-blueprints] Suggestion

Miko,

I would like to suggest that maybe we have people establish what they
want to see come out of the group.
If we can get people to send it through email we can help to establish
an end target goal of the blueprints.

Also with that in mind I will contribute my thoughts to this based on
some experience I have defining internal SOA blueprints.

I see the blueprints can be established in a few different ways.

First, an SOA blueprint can be how the services interact and are managed
within the context of your service oriented environment.
Second, an SOA blueprint can be an expression of how common business
process can be evolved into an SOA.
Third, an SOA blueprint is specific to a domain since the domain
establishes business processes and the SOA realizes those processes.

The first can be leverage by the other ones. The last one is a difficult
exercise to achieve and is very similar to having a unified business
language (see the oasis standard).
Maybe in some ways the SOA blueprints can leverage some of the work that
is done by the unified business language standard.

These are some ideas to trigger more definition on the end state of this
technical committee.
Thoughts?

Obviously the body of work that was done as part of the middleware group
seems to straddle the First and Second points.

Thanks,

Daniel Marchant
Architect
Wells Fargo