soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Suggestion

This is a very helpful idea--it might fit with the idea of creating both a "library" of example implementations or case studies, as well as some kind of taxonomic device for classifying SOA projects from a pragmatic standpoint into  SOA project "types"...

-----Original Message-----
From:	Halley,Marc R [mailto:mrh@mitre.org]
Sent:	Mon 9/19/2005 5:57 AM
To:	marchadr@wellsfargo.com; porch_robert@bah.com; soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org; Miko Matsumura
Subject:	RE: [soa-blueprints] Suggestion
To all,

Our sponsors want examples of previous implementations to use as
starting points and checkpoints for their projects.  If there were a
set of architectures which are then instantiated with specific products
or home-built software, that would be very valuable and widely used.
The sponsors would say things such as, "Architecture #4 is the closest
to our situation, but I think that we need to change these parts."

Marc Halley
MITRE

-----Original Message-----
From: marchadr@wellsfargo.com [mailto:marchadr@wellsfargo.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 4:58 PM
To: porch_robert@bah.com; soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org;
mmatsumura@infravio.com

One thing I would also like to get out of this is what seems to be the
goal in the Executive Summary that was sent out for the group.

"The SOA Blueprint validates the SOA specification and blueprint
through a real-world reference implementation and
provides a concrete implementation of the SOA model through various
vendors' technologies. Thus, SOA
Blueprints give enterprises real-world implementations that can be used
as a departure point for their own
implementations, which can also benefit from the body of SOA best
practices that the blueprints provide."

Essentially if you look at the W3C and Oasis committee groups there are
a variety of standards that are being defined around services. I would
like to see in what situations do people think specific
standards/implementations should be used.

For instance,
  - When would I use SAML within a service context, if at all?
  - When would I use Web Services Notifications?
  - How would I incorporate Web Services Composite Application
Frameworks?
  - When would BPEL be appropriately used? Would it be integrated
within a service bus to managed orchestration of services?
  - Would I use Asynchronous Service Access Protocol standard?
  - Can the Web Services Distributed Management standard be the basis
of a service bus?

These are just some questions to kind of get a feel for what I was
thinking of as far as what the blueprints could provide.

- Dan