soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Anti-Blueprints

Theo,

I'll have to agree with Steve and Marc on this one as well.

Looking at what the problems are within existing SOA (or pseudo SOA) helps to establish what a best practice or pattern should address.
The cultural barrier is something that needs to be addressed and if developers have a solid blueprint to start from it makes their life a bit easier.

All the points you brought up around the problems within current web service implementations are things that need to be addressed by a blueprint.

Really not sure if the maturity index is really something addressed by a blueprint.
You could apply some maturity criteria against the blueprint but a blueprint in itself should be the maturity analysis.

For instance maturity criteria could be:
- Your services that adhere to various patterns within the Oasis SOA blueprints
- You have a management tools/policies in place that manage your services
- You are adhere to the Oasis SOA reference model within your SOA
- You use various WS-* specs (not to say WS approach is the only way to go) or other industry specs
- You have a governance and standards body to help shape the SOA environment
- You have a SOA based definition process (could be based on Cap..'s work)
- Etc...

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Davies Marc [mailto:Marc.Davies@uk.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:52 AM
To: Beack, Theo; Jones, Steve G; Ken Laskey; Miko Matsumura
Cc: soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

Sorry Theo but, I think Steve is on to something with anti-patterns and I *do* consider the number of services to give an indication of approach. In particular your comment:

- it might even be a cultural barrier; developers might think using services is a waste of time and prefer to integrate their apps in another way

…Implicitly indicates to me that (in that example) this is not an SOA environment. An SOA journey must have strong centralised (architectural) control ensuring developers do not just ‘do it’ how they think is the best way forward for “their” application (which in reality of course, isn’t their application – it’s the business’ application, a fault many of us have suffered from at some point in our careers, I’m sure :o)

SOA is not WS (IMHO), SOA does mean strong Governance and adherence to standards, and this may frequently upset Developers!

M.

Marc Davies

Fujitsu

Business Unit Chief Technology Officer

Architecture & Design Group

Core Services

Mobile: +44 (0) 7867 825118

E-mail: marc.davies@uk.fujitsu.com

Telephone:   -Hot Desking-

http://uk.fujitsu.com

This e-mail is only for the use of its intended recipient. Its contents are confidential and may be privileged. Fujitsu Services does not guarantee that this e-mail has not been intercepted and amended or that it is virus-free.