soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Anti-Blueprints - Number of services

The carefulness comes to how many people are trying to speak with the same letters and what the interpretation of those letters are within their vocabulary. Spanish, French and English all use the same letters but do the words mean the same thing?

My personal feeling is that the letters need to be formed into a sort of terse word vocabulary that can be the basis of what the service is and what it will provide. It is a very similar process to coming up with a business strategy and probably takes a lot of the same mechanics to define.

For example, buy, sell and trade are much more descriptive and constraining than b,u,y,s,e,l,l,t,r,a,d,e (duplicate). I do see where you are going with this, just cautioning the making the reduction stick to the pan so to speak.

Here is an example of a terse way to break down an enterprise (such as Coalogic).
http://blueprints.jot.com/WikiHome/Eriksson-Penker+based+break-down

I used the Eriksson-Penker style diagram to create it.

- Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Miko Matsumura [mailto:mmatsumura@infravio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 6:27 AM
To: Davies Marc; Duane Nickull; Jones, Steve G; Beack, Theo; Ken Laskey
Cc: soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

+1

One theme of a talk I am giving lately is about how we describe SOA. When we talk about SOA "Reuse" we are talking about a potential for reuse that is fundamentally unlike what most people think of when they hear that word.

For example, I am currently "reusing" the alphabet to write this email. This suggests dynamic and fluid expressions of remote and instantiated services, not of classical class reuse such as OO.

In order to achieve such "reuse", there are serious architectural hurdles.

At the ground floor, hurdles include things like service description and discovery and interoperability standards. This allows your SOA to make simple two word "sentences" where one service consumes another.

As you start to "talk" about subjects that deliver value for your organization (business services), you begin to need things like security and governance. I know these are not well specified, but bear with me.

In order to form more complex "sentences" involving business value, you will need to have additional architectural support including a way to manage provisioning, versioning, dependency mapping, service level agreements and probably other things I'm not thinking of presently. Another potentially useful tool at this stage are service contracts, which allow for the externalization of relationship-specific delivery preferences from the services themselves.

At the most expressive and dynamic, you most likely will need some kind of business process language, some tooling support and within the domain/organization/contextual frame a level of semantic integrity or a mechanism to achieve semantic integration. Here be some serious dragons.

The saving grace is most likely that most organizations can dramatically limit the scope of valid topics and "sentences" which can be built on top of their SOA. Thus instead of being a "semantic web" problem of vast complexity, it becomes more like a problem of plumbing--do the hot and cold pipes fit together?

Probably more philosophical than I should get in a "blueprinting" group, but there you are.

Best,
Miko