soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Anti-Blueprints - Number of services

Marc:

I find your argument completely illogical. Web Services are layered over
the internet.  Are they also not SOA?  I have successfully ordered books
from Amazon via the internet - that certainly qualifies its usefulness
as a business platform.  In fact, several people have noted that the B2C
and B2B models of the internet seem to be relatively popular of late.
AS1 and AS2 are used by Walmart for their supply chain.

I will also assert that the concept of corporate intranets is the same
as the internet, merely scoped to a LAN or WAN controlled by one entity.
This shoots apart your argument that the internet is not a model that
can be delivered into an enterprise.  In fact, my employer uses software
that makes the lines very blurred between the two.

I am sorry - I do not buy the argument that the internet is not SOA.

Duane

-----Original Message-----
From: Davies Marc [mailto:Marc.Davies@uk.fujitsu.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:37 AM
To: Duane Nickull; Miko Matsumura; Jones, Steve G; Beack, Theo; Ken
Laskey
Cc: soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

Ah, but the point of SOA in a business context is the architectural
control
and standardisation.

I agree that the Internet is service oriented [anarchy ;o)] - absolutely
cannot disagree with your inferences. However, *does* it (not '*can*
it')
deliver a quantifiable methodology for understanding the cost of
delivering
a service and controlling the initiation, production and disposition of
services to deliver reduced complexity? No I don't think it does.

I think the Internet is a perfect example of 'pure-play' SOA, conceptual
but
in no waya model that could be delivered (although it could be
synthesused)
into an Enterprise - in the same way that the Open Source concept (as
epitomised by sourceforge) 'can' deliver fantastic solutions
[frequently]
driven by 1st class development methodologies - 'doesn't' deliver a
solution
that an Enterprise could safely adopt in and of itself, as the business
drivers conflict.

Now, I accept that from a purist viewpoint we might say that it doesn't
matter about the higher level abstraction epitomised by the business
focus
(and I have no idea of the v10 framework from RM BTW, I'm still trying
find time to properly assess v09.so it may be there), however - one of
the
critical reasons for global interest in SOA is the belief (outside of
technical circles) that there might finally be an architectural
prinicplke
not so firmly bound in technical terms, that the divide between business
and
IT could be overcome.

In terms of Blueprinting - are we are looking for 'how-to'? - as the RM
TC
has demonstrated, its easy to get caught up in the circular debate
(after
all, only a few weeks ago on that TC the debate "what is a service" was
still raging away). I would assert that we need to be pragmatic and
business-oriented ourselves while trying to deliver into this TC.

In a nutshell - do I think the number of services plays a part in the
pattern/anti-pattern debate? Yes I do, because this is not a debate
about
service orientation in its purest sense - it's a debate about what is
'good
practice' versus 'bad practice' when assessing the fates of our
customers
(internal/external) and attempting to deliver an architecture that
reduces
cost/complexity, not increases it. Put another way, if the RM TC is
where
the Pure Mathematicians reside, then is not Blueprint TC where the
Applied
Math is carried out?

Best,
Marc.