soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Anti-Blueprints - Number of services

I think a stronger metric for this would be to compare the number of
services to the number of functions you wish to expose.  A good practice
would be to make them as granular as needed for maximum re-purposing,
but no finer.  Since the quantitative measure of this varies with each
implementation, I do not think we or anyone else could prescribe a
single rule to govern this, just a cautionary note.

The other aspect is redundant services or orphaned services.  Having a
large number of services not being used probably indicates you need to
revisit some aspect of your IT strategy.

I concur with Marc that this is a best practices conversation.

Duane

-----Original Message-----
From: Miko Matsumura [mailto:mmatsumura@infravio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 10:49 AM
To: Davies Marc
Cc: soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

+1 on this bit--

The pattern/antipattern bit is not intended to be universal or
descriptive, it's intended to be prescriptive and cautionary. In any
event, if it's a handy tool at any given time we will pull it from our
toolbox and use it...

--------------------

In a nutshell - do I think the number of services plays a part in the
pattern/anti-pattern debate? Yes I do, because this is not a debate
about service orientation in its purest sense - it's a debate about what
is 'good practice' versus 'bad practice' when assessing the fates of our
customers
(internal/external) and attempting to deliver an architecture that
reduces cost/complexity, not increases it. Put another way, if the RM TC
is where the Pure Mathematicians reside, then is not Blueprint TC where
the Applied Math is carried out?

Best,
Marc.
<ducks after typing.., :o) >