soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] Microsoft Motion Modeling Methodology (M*4?)

Our approach will most likely be top down because blueprinting as described in the charter starts with the business case.

Agree with vendor neutrality(also chartered) but who knows. Next step on notation/methodology I'm hoping for is to work out what the layers that need modeling are, then we have some use cases for different modeling/notation formats. It's a sidebar, but one that will help us do a good job. I think MW2 are preparing to donate some work related to that, I just need to keep pinging Mike about it =)

Best,
Miko

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jeffrey.Lamb@wellsfargo.com [mailto:Jeffrey.Lamb@wellsfargo.com]
	Sent: Thu 11/3/2005 3:25 PM
	To: steve.g.jones@capgemini.com; marchadr@wellsfargo.com; Miko Matsumura; mike@mw2consulting.com; jharby@gmail.com; soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

	Concur that this group should steer away from "vendor specific" notation/methodology approaches.

	As an example, things that are less vendor specific like UML may be of interest, as it is a fairly common notation at the design/detail design/build level and in a "top down SOA" may allow for easier communication of the target to some key audiences -- may be a bit of a stretch on UML though. One can get bogged down in notation discussions -- though it is a sidebar that could be a bit important as the SOA blueprint progresses. Would be of interest to be aware of parallel thoughts on "SOA & DSL"

	One impact of a top-down approach to the technology of SOA is

	*
		may enable correlation back to the business -- the business-facing services one identifies need to have correlation to business process/events either in 1-1 or aggregate
	*
		may help with the "bottom up" by providing, of sorts, a specification to the 'DSIs of the world' as to what underlying general technical capabilities/functions are required to support the business-facing services in the SOA context - hopefully they can work towards and SOA driven functional 'specification' that engenders flexibility
	*
		may offer opportunity to possibly take a top-down SOA and think more of how one moves an existing non-SOA towards it rather than to fit it into a non-SOA architecture

	Jeff Lamb, CCP
	Wells Fargo Services, Enterprise Architecture
	415.371.3106 Direct line
	Jeffrey.Lamb@WellsFargo.com

	This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any information herein.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

  _____