soa-blueprints message

Subject: Re: [soa-blueprints] WS-TX

John,

I would expect the service metadata to include, or more likely
prominently link to, representations of policies under which the
service wishes to perform.  Per the SOA-RM, policies represent a
"wish list" for the service, where some items may be negotiable and
some not.  Establishing the "execution context" is the mechanism by
which provider and consumer policies are aligned and conflicts
resolved;  it may be thought of as a negotiation of policies
resulting in a contract between the parties.  A service invocation
becomes possible and may occur within an established execution
context.  The transaction semantics would not be changed, but some
level of semantic mediation may be necessary in the process of
creating the contract, including documenting what mediation has occurred.

Ken

At 12:28 PM 11/21/2005, John Harby wrote:
>I joined the WS-Transactions TC and attended their F2F last week.
>Although I don't think we have the sort of liason
>requirements that we may have in other SOA related TCs, the notion
>of SOAs and services did come up in the discussion. One particular
>example was compensation (e.g. in a rollback scenario), certain
>services may be compensatable and others may not. It wasn't too
>certain whether this property should be expressed in the service
>metadata or some policies. It was extremely undesirable to that
>group for the transaction semantics or protocol to be modified though.

   /   Ken
Laskey                                                                \
  |    MITRE Corporation, M/S H305    phone:  703-983-7934   |
  |    7515 Colshire Drive                    fax:      703-983-1379   |
   \   McLean VA 22102-7508                                              /