soa-blueprints message

Subject: RE: [soa-blueprints] WS-TX

Comments inlined….

From: Ken Laskey [mailto:klaskey@mitre.org]
Sent: 22 November 2005 15:14
To: Jones, Steve G
Cc: marchadr@wellsfargo.com; jharby@gmail.com; soa-blueprints@lists.oasis-open.org

Metadata enables initial visibility without having to directly interrogate the entity of interest.  In fact, it helps identify the entity as one of interest.  Part of this may be an indication of what policies will come into play and links to the details of those policies.

Where do the policies reside?  Well, for different implementations, these could reside in different places.  If it is well-known boilerplate, it may reside in some public space where it can be easily referenced by many groups.  It could also be very specific to a given entity and held locally, but from a metadata standpoint, I would expect the policy definition to be separate from the metadata but the metadata to point to it.  Part of policy may be how adherence to policy is evaluated, and an evaluation may make use of a third party mechanism to ensure unbiased tracking of compliance.

So let me get back to your specific questions:

Does the metadata reside with the service or the bus?  It resides some place where users can find it without knowing about the entity.  As for the bus, a single company may have a single bus, but I wouldn't count on a single "universal bus".

[Jones, Steve G] Those product vendors out there will be disappointed J  But I agree federation is going to be key (and normal)

Service has all of the policy elements and does all of the management and adherence?  I doubt whether any service will be that self-contained.  Do we really want each service to encapsulate the evaluation function?  Do we really want to try to maintain that?  The policy evaluation will be a "service" (in the business sense, possibly accessed through one in the SOA sense) and the question is just where that function resides.  (See mention above of independent third party.)

Enterprise (the bus) that defines and enforces policy?  Policy is defined by those whose expertise is policy matters and the enterprise will identify where the official definitions reside.  Individual services may have special policies that are coordinated with the enterprise, but mechanisms will be needed (e.g. metadata) to indicate where policies reside and how these are to be evaluated.  Also, see note above about non-ubiquitous USB.

[Jones, Steve G] USB = Universal Service Bus?  An almost perfect confusion point J

Service has the policy for its minimal state... bus contains the policy related to actual interactions?  It sounds like the higher level policy defines the environment for the service and is not directly of concern to the service.  For example, in the US my income taxes are due quarterly and I know my employer has some mechanism to get the payments in in a satisfactory manner.  I don't directly deal with this.  However, it is also my responsibility to make sure the amount sent to the IRS is sufficient and it is my responsibility to send in any shortfall.  This is my policy on how to handle, using my mechanisms.  In summary, I'll deal with policy that is my direct responsibility and interest and I'll delegate other policies to the appropriate "others", especially when I neither know nor care what these policies are.

Hope this all makes sense.

[Jones, Steve G] Definitely makes sense, to me this is why the mixed mode (and the concept of hierarchy of IT and business) should be the norm, so policy can both be delegated upwards “You say who can call me” and downwards “Thou shalt record  everything”.  So both service container and bus must be able to exchange policy and manage policy enforcement.  I think I’m agreeing with you, I just thought it was a good topic for debate as the “single bus” model is often pushed by vendors, in a similar way to the “one EAI” solution was 5 years ago.

Ken