soa-blueprints message

Subject: F2F and Deliverable

Title: F2F and Deliverable

As for a F2F meeting, I must be the only midwest member of the TC.  We could make it equally inconvenient for everyone (except me) and meet here in St. Louis.

I will be at the InfoWorld event in March, so the West Coast would work for me if it were piggybacked onto that event.

As for why I joined this TC, and what I'm hoping to see come out of it, my assumption was that the SOA-RM TC was focused on the conceptual model of an SOA, both from an infrastructure standpoint (e.g. it has a registry/repository, a routing network/bus, etc.) and a very high level taxonomy (e.g. business services, data services, portals, ...).  The SOA Adoption Blueprints would take the RM a step further in providing some implementation scenarios, such as a migration from a user-facing B2B portal to a system-facing B2B portal (seems to be a common case study).  In addition, my hope was that it would go beyond the technical aspects, and present some reference models for some of the non-technical (and in my opinion, more important) aspects, such as organizational models and governance.  Gray areas that I could go either way on would include methodologies for service identification and business decomposition, including the work contributed by Cap Gemini.  I think we need to utilize a methodology, if only for agreement on how we document the artifacts, but

I don't see any need to have anything vendor specific in this approach at all.  I also think that if we focus exclusively on the technical aspects, it would make more sense to combine the efforts under the SOA-RM banner, and simply go deeper than they have so far.  Focusing exclusively on the technical aspects might yield blueprints, but it would miss out on the steps necessary for adoption.

Todd Biske
Software Infrastructure Engineering
A.G. Edwards Technology Group, Inc.
V:(314) 955-6254 F:(314) 955-4055 E:todd.biske@agedwards.com

A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other
than the recipient.