soa-eerp message

Subject: Resend New Issue: BQoS Issue: Performance:QualityAssertion

Hi Everyone,

I'm resending this issue to conform with the IssuesProcess.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL OR START A DISCUSSION THREAD UNTIL
THE ISSUE IS ASSIGNED A NUMBER.

The issues coordinators will notify the list when that has occurred.

Protocol: bqos

BQoS spec WD04 at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/32576/BusinessQualityOfService-v1.0-spec-wd04.pdf

Artifact: spec

Type: editorial

Title: BQoS Issue: Performance:QualityAssertion

(Note: I'll repeat this intro where it applies to the issues I bring
up.) I have not had time to address these specs as I would have
preferred, but as I am working through the process of diagramming the
SOA Reference Architecture Foundation due to be released for Public
Review in July (hopefully), I do have time to bring up a few
crossover issues that will help align and coordinate the use of the
RAF to develop specific, concrete solution architectures.

This Issue applies to the BQoS Specification for the Performance category.

I think we should include a formal mechanism for Service Providers to
assert the specific Qualities of their services. Because this is
something that I expect will evolve over time, I don't have
suggestions at this time for specific subcategories of Quality. I
think it would be wise to include this as a free text element at
first. Later we may have subcategories that arise, but I wouldn't
want to wait until we define those in order to get feedback from our
audience on what they want to assert about their services.

For instance, a conference management service might assert: "We
deliver a high percentage of decision makers and decision
influencers." This kind of assertion sets the foundation for a rating
service to say something like, "Acme Conference Management delivered
an audience for Conference X in which only 35% of attendees could be
confirmed as decision makers."

Because many Quality Assertions may be subjective (e..g. "a good time
will be had by all"), without such an assertion, rating services and
potential Service Consumers will not have a basis against which to
evaluate services. The point is that even subjective Quality
Assertions can be evaluated by ratings services, even if we can
assign an objective unit of measure.

By providing Service Providers with a BQoS:
Performance:QualityAssertion, I think we can begin to make better
assessments of services.

Cheers,
Rex

--