soa-rm-editors message

Subject: Dispositions

Don

I apologize in advance for this.

I am not really a spreadsheet hacker. So I am sending you my proposed
dispositions in this email by text (there are many many comments)

Frank

P.S. Am I the only one who is finding this process a bit
bureaucratic? Esp. after the freewheeling first draft?

============================
Issue #7-26 -- definition of policy

Line: 461.

I believed that the definition of policy that I outlined was the one
that was agreed to in the F2F.

I certainly agree that we should be consistent!

Issue #7-28 Contract life-cycle

I agree, a little more needs to be written here. However,  I am not
sure that we should be in the business of defining contract life-cycles.

A diagram might be helpful of course.

How about the following:

To replace lines 506-508

The negotiation phase of a contract is the period when the parties to
the potential contract discuss the agreement to be entered into. This
may be vestigial, as for example, in the case of a service whose
contracts are published in a service description and the only option
for a user of the service is to agree to the published description or
not use the service. In principle, a contract negotiation phase may
also involve extensive communication and adjustments to various
parameters.

The negotiation phase of a contract is terminated by some action on
both parties that signals that they agree to the contract. This
action may be implicit -- as in a service consumer's first request
message to the service -- or it may be explicit with an explicit
*agree* and *acknowledgment* communication from the various parties.

After line 515

The completion of a contract marks a period in which the obligations
of the parties have been fully discharged; i.e., no new agreements or
obligations are warranted by the agreed-to contract. For example, in
a typical purchase-deliver contract, the contract requires the
provider to deliver the product and the purchaser to supply funds to
meet the purchase. After both parties have met those obligations,
there may be no additional obligations (such as to provide further
product or further funds) arising from the contract.

In general, the completion of a contract may not be easily
delineated. Many contracts have long-term obligations on one or more
of the parties; for example, if the goods supplied turn out to be
defective then there may still be obligations on the supplier.

For most service interactions, where the contracts are less legal and
more technical, the obligations under the contract are likely to be
expressed in terms of security techniques used, Quality of Service
levels, specific data models applying to message exchanges and so on.
In such a case, once a service interaction is completed, the
obligations to follow pre-defined choreography, for example, becomes
moot -- a new service exchange may well require a different
choreography.

Issue #7-29 types of contract

I do not agree that we need to go into a lot of detail about the
types of contract. In any case, the service description is a kind of
contract, and it follows from the previous paragraph.

Not sure why implied definition of service interface is inconsistent
with others.

Issue #7-30 service context

Agree that it needs more work. Not at all sure about basing it on
transaction context -- although that is an example of a context.

Issue #7-31 action boundary

Defend the term to the death

Issue #7-32 service context

Will add something on context in intro to semantics

Issue #7-33 & 34 service purpose

Will add a figure and try to clarify

Issue #7-35 shared expectations

Will add more to the intro. E.g. something based on

The semantics of a service involve a shared understanding by the
service consumer of information that describes multiple aspects of a
service that has been provided by the service provider, and
potentially previous service consumers as well

Issue #7-36 service semantics

Good suggestion, will move text.

Issue #37, multiple metadata

Yes, we should agree on a single definition

Issue #38 metadata and documentation

Will clarify. However, I contend that documentation *is* metadata --
metadata intended for human processing

Issue #39 uses of metadata

agree that more could be added. Not sure that much more is needed

Issue #40 limits to semantics

This is a critical truth. Agree to expand further

Issue #41 vocabulary

Vocabulary is part of the semantics. However, perhaps its profile
should be enhanced by moving it forward. Deserves its own section
really.

Issue #42

Vocabulary section should be greatly expanded on.

Issue #43

Agreed

Issue #44

Autonomy should be moved to the initial section on services. It was
here as a marker

Issue #45

Designing for something to be possible does not make it mandatory

Issue #46

Rename agreed. Have already proposed a rewording

Issue #101

Agreed. Who will do this?

Issue #104

Agreed.

Issue #105

More on context is needed. Not clear about proposed set of facts
however. There is context, and there is the description of context --
different animals.

Issue #137

Disagree with emphasis on communication. Propose to ignore this.

Issue #138

Partially agree with this wording:

Policy: A statement of a service offer together with obligations,
constraints or other conditions of use of a given service, and
encapsulated as part of a service description. When a specific set of
entities accept such a policy, a contract is usually
established.                 Contract: The syntactic, semantic and
logical constraints governing the use of a service and thus
reflecting a service's policies

However, would prefer

Policy: A statement of the obligations, constraints or other
conditions of use of a given service. Policies are often encapsulated
as part of a service description.

Contract: A contract is established with a specific set of entities
accept a policy.

Issue #156 Use too loose

Agreed.

Issue #157 Context

Agreed.

Issue #158

Agreed. Sort of. The "sentence" is a noun phrase, intended as a title.

Issue #159
Similar

Issue #160 Ownership domain.

Needs a definition. Agreed. Perhaps for the glossary?

Issue #161 Content
is correct, not context. Refers to the content of communication

Issue #184
We are talking about the layers of semantics, not the layers of service.

Issue #185
Bullets -- agreed.

Issue #186
Agreed.